Hanukkah Food to Celebrate the Occasion
Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday and, like with most holidays, food plays a prominent role in the festivities. Popular Hanukkah appetizers include potato latkes and jelly-filled donuts. Dairy foods are also enjoyed at this time. A lot of Hanukkah food is symbolic. For example, potato latkes are cooked in oil to represent the oil that burned for 8 days when the Jews defeated the Syrian-Greeks in 165 BCE.
Other Ideas for This Holiday
Although dairy foods were not added to the typical Hanukkah menu until the Middle Ages, they are now usually served frequently as part of the festival. Cheese is another symbolic ingredient in Hanukkah food because according to legend, a beauty named Judith, tricked the Babylonian army by serving salty cheese.
When they quenched their thirst with alcohol and became inebriated, Judith killed the enemy general and the rest of the army fled, making Judith a local hero. This is why cheese, cheesecake and other recipes made with cheese are served during Hanukkah.
Popular Food Choices
Potato latkes are perhaps the best-known Hanukkah appetizer and these are not only for Hanukkah. Although a lot of the food is supposed to be symbolic, it is also good food, so you can really enjoy the meal, whether you are eating fried potato, egg and onion latkes, homemade jelly-filled donuts or your favorite cheesecake recipe. Grilled salmon or tuna sliders could also be served, as well as some kind of salad on the side to round out the meal.
Leave a Reply
- Delicate Mini Smoked Salmon and Caviar Appetizer August 26, 2014
- Crispy Vegetable Spring Rolls August 24, 2014
- Spicy Crockpot Queso Dip August 18, 2014
- Crayfish and Salmon Terrine August 16, 2014
- All is Good Again March 8, 2014
- Our Wow’s with Rich Pins March 6, 2014
- Eggs Stuffed with Tuna Appetizer Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (19225 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (18406 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (15486 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (14216 Views)
- Home (13173 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (11939 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (11760 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (11036 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (10454 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (9356 Views)
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe (9102 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (8648 Views)
- Smoked Salmon and Caper Canapés (8480 Views)
- Grape Jelly Meatball Sauce Recipe (8294 Views)
- Simple Yet Elegant Beef Tenderloin Appetizers (7648 Views)