Hanukkah Food to Celebrate the Occasion
Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday and, like with most holidays, food plays a prominent role in the festivities. Popular Hanukkah appetizers include potato latkes and jelly-filled donuts. Dairy foods are also enjoyed at this time. A lot of Hanukkah food is symbolic. For example, potato latkes are cooked in oil to represent the oil that burned for 8 days when the Jews defeated the Syrian-Greeks in 165 BCE.
Other Ideas for This Holiday
Although dairy foods were not added to the typical Hanukkah menu until the Middle Ages, they are now usually served frequently as part of the festival. Cheese is another symbolic ingredient in Hanukkah food because according to legend, a beauty named Judith, tricked the Babylonian army by serving salty cheese.
When they quenched their thirst with alcohol and became inebriated, Judith killed the enemy general and the rest of the army fled, making Judith a local hero. This is why cheese, cheesecake and other recipes made with cheese are served during Hanukkah.
Popular Food Choices
Potato latkes are perhaps the best-known Hanukkah appetizer and these are not only for Hanukkah. Although a lot of the food is supposed to be symbolic, it is also good food, so you can really enjoy the meal, whether you are eating fried potato, egg and onion latkes, homemade jelly-filled donuts or your favorite cheesecake recipe. Grilled salmon or tuna sliders could also be served, as well as some kind of salad on the side to round out the meal.
Leave a Reply
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Salmon Roe and Sour Cream January 21, 2016
- Anchovy and Dill Canapes January 19, 2016
- Spanish Seafood Stuffed Egg Appetizers January 14, 2016
- Lamb Chops with Cucumber Slaw January 11, 2016
- Seared Scallops over Rice Timbales January 8, 2016
- Pork Potstickers with Soy-Chili Dipping Sauce January 5, 2016
- Feta Cheese and Tomato Deviled Eggs January 2, 2016
- Healthy Ratatouille Stuffed Peppers December 29, 2015
- Palate-Cleansing Citrus Sorbet Appetizers December 26, 2015
- Easy Shrimp and Cottage Cheese Canapes December 23, 2015
- Home (36785 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (27701 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (23753 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21140 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (20115 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (15340 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (14941 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (14460 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (12401 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (11931 Views)