Hanukkah Food to Celebrate the Occasion
Hanukkah is a Jewish holiday and, like with most holidays, food plays a prominent role in the festivities. Popular Hanukkah appetizers include potato latkes and jelly-filled donuts. Dairy foods are also enjoyed at this time. A lot of Hanukkah food is symbolic. For example, potato latkes are cooked in oil to represent the oil that burned for 8 days when the Jews defeated the Syrian-Greeks in 165 BCE.
Other Ideas for This Holiday
Although dairy foods were not added to the typical Hanukkah menu until the Middle Ages, they are now usually served frequently as part of the festival. Cheese is another symbolic ingredient in Hanukkah food because according to legend, a beauty named Judith, tricked the Babylonian army by serving salty cheese.
When they quenched their thirst with alcohol and became inebriated, Judith killed the enemy general and the rest of the army fled, making Judith a local hero. This is why cheese, cheesecake and other recipes made with cheese are served during Hanukkah.
Popular Food Choices
Potato latkes are perhaps the best-known Hanukkah appetizer and these are not only for Hanukkah. Although a lot of the food is supposed to be symbolic, it is also good food, so you can really enjoy the meal, whether you are eating fried potato, egg and onion latkes, homemade jelly-filled donuts or your favorite cheesecake recipe. Grilled salmon or tuna sliders could also be served, as well as some kind of salad on the side to round out the meal.
Leave a Reply
- No Results for Our Top Rated Recipes
- No Results for Our Top Rated Articles
- Home (22887 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (14887 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (12860 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (10670 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (8587 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (8548 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (7444 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (6919 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (6834 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (6813 Views)