Tempting Asparagus Appetizer Recipes
Asparagus is a really versatile ingredient and asparagus appetizer recipes are always popular. You can choose different types of asparagus appetizers, perhaps combining the asparagus with cheese or other vegetables, and making tartlets or bite-size quiches or pastries. Another option would be to make a salad and serve it on chilled salad plates. You can choose from hot, warm, or cold asparagus appetizer recipes.
You only have to add one or two other ingredients to your asparagus to make delicious asparagus appetizer recipes. What about stirring some curry powder, lemon juice or tomato paste into mayonnaise or crème fraiche and serving that as a dip for freshly roasted or grilled asparagus spears? That would be a very simple appetizer but a yummy one nonetheless.
Ideas for Appetizers with Asparagus
Perhaps you fancy combining the asparagus with some kind of meat, poultry, fish, or seafood, and that makes a good concept as well. Asparagus works well with any meat or fish, whether you want to combine it with a chilled carpaccio (finely sliced raw beef) or some cooked steak strips, adding black pepper, chilies, or another bold flavor, or with seafood, adding lemon juice, garlic, fresh herbs and other aromatic seasonings.
You can roast asparagus and then serve it with a simple topping. Try a dollop of crème fraiche with a couple of anchovy filets or perhaps some caviar or other fish eggs. Little quail eggs are also nice with asparagus and all of these ideas incorporate five ingredients or less, making them relatively quick and easy to put together. Use your imagination to make your own unique asparagus appetizer recipes.
How to Make a Crudité Platter
A crudité platter consists of crunchy raw vegetables in bite-size pieces and a dipping sauce for them. There are many types of vegetables you can use for your crudité platter, including wax beans, green beans, sugar snap peas, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, bell pepper, radishes, fennel, zucchini, carrots, summer squash, green onions, cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and cucumber. Celery would also add a nice crunch. Chop long vegetables like celery, asparagus, and carrots into two or three inch pieces. Smaller ones like cherry tomatoes can be served whole. Bell pepper can be cut into two or three inch strips or small squares.
Some vegetables, like the asparagus, beans and broccoli, will benefit from a couple of minutes in boiling water, but the remainder can be served raw. Do not cook any of the vegetables long enough to make them tender, just to soften them slightly. Crudités are meant to be eaten with the fingers and fully cooked vegetables will break up too easily, especially if they are dunked in a thick dipping sauce.
Style and Presentation
Arrange the vegetables on a large chilled platter, after having cooled anything which you blanched, then serve one or two dipping sauces. You might like to serve salsa, hummus, a sour cream and onion dip, guacamole, a hot spinach dip with cheese, a garlic dip, or anything else. You might want to serve more than two different dips, especially if you are catering for a large event or your crudité platter is very large. If you are serving a warm dipping sauce, you can make and serve it in a small crockpot. Leave the crockpot plugged in with the lid off and the dip will stay warm.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37779 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29237 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24690 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21798 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21329 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15693 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13794 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13361 Views)