White Bean and Sweet Potato Appetizer Canapés
If you are looking for something unusual, what about making these wonderful little tartlets. You can forget the tartlet shells and leave the bean mixture cooking for a couple of hours on low for a hearty stew or cook it for forty five minutes and the beans will stay whole, making it perfect as a tartlet filling. Sweet potatoes, garlic, ham, celery and more are added to the white beans, to give the tartlet filling plenty of flavor, texture, and crunch. These tartlets are easy to make because you just cook everything together in the slow cooker. You can use dried beans for this and feel free to switch the white beans for red beans or any other ones you like.
The garam masala adds a nice Indian flavor to the white bean mixture. This ingredient is a mixture of different spices, although the exact recipe differs between brands and regions. Common garam masala ingredients include cloves, black cumin, black and white peppercorns, coriander seeds, nutmeg, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom and Malabar leaves, so you can imagine how flavorful it is.
As with some of our other easy crockpot appetizer recipes, these tartlets can either be served warm or chilled. They are really good both ways. Leave out the ham if you want to make a vegetarian crockpot appetizer recipe or use pancetta, bacon or another finely chopped meat instead if you like.
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped white onion
- ½ cup chopped ham
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lb dried white beans
- 14 oz can vegetable broth
- 2 peeled, finely chopped sweet potatoes
- 2 finely chopped celery stalks
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 20 tartlet shells or small vol-au-vent cases
- 6 cups water
- Add the garlic, onion, broth, sweet potatoes, celery, olive oil, and bay leaves to the slow cooker.
- Soak the beans by putting them in a big pot with 6 cups of water and bringing it to a boil.
- Boil them for a few minutes, and then let them soak in the hot water for an hour.
- Drain them and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add enough water to the crockpot to cover everything by an inch.
- Cook on high for 5 hours. Add the ham, garam masala, and salt.
- Stir and cook on low for 45 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the mixture to a bowl, and then use the white bean mixture to fill the tartlet shells or vol-au-vent cases.
These elegant white bean tartlets will disappear quickly at your next get-together or party. You can just imagine how fast your interested guests will reach out to help themselves to one of these tasty little snacks. White beans, ham, onion and more are used to make these delectable little snacks and you can see from the photo how cute they are. If you are catering for a buffet you will have a variety of dishes to make so why not use your crockpot to its full potential, allowing this wonderful bean mixture to cook in there without having to look at it or stir it, and then you can concentrate on other things?
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37778 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29235 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21327 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15693 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13794 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)