Tasty Brandied Chicken Liver Pate Recipe
Did you know you can make pate in the crockpot? Actually it is a great method of making a homemade pate recipe because when you use an oven it can dry out. That will not happen in the slow cooker. You can use this recipe as a general guideline if you want, altering the flavorings and spices. Just make sure you keep the volumes of other ingredients the same. This is such an easy recipe to make and it is wonderful served on toast with some lettuce leaves or fresh herbs for a colorful garnish on top.
It is up to you how coarsely or finely you chop the onion and chicken livers. If you want a coarse pate, chop them coarsely or, for a finer textured one, chop them more finely. After adding the herbs to the mixture in the pan, you can blend the mixture in a blender if you want a completely smooth pate or leave it if you want some texture. A completely smooth pate is also known as a parfait. It is nice smooth, a bit chunky or very coarse. It just depends on your personal preference.
Something else you might like to do to make this recipe even more delicious is cover the inside of the greased terrine dish with slices of bacon before you put the pate mixture in there. This will infuse the pate with the bacon flavor. Then you can serve the bacon with the pate or simply discard it. You can really make this pate recipe your own by experimenting with the different flavors and additions.
- 1 ⅓ lbs chopped chicken livers
- 1 ½ oz brandy
- 7 oz butter
- 1 teaspoon thyme or sage
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 chopped onion
- Salt and black pepper
- 10 slices toasted white bread
- Handful of salad leaves or fresh herbs, for garnish
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fry the liver and onions in ½ oz of the butter in a skillet with some seasoning.
- After 3 minutes, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the brandy and flame it if you want.
- Stir in the remaining butter and the thyme or sage.
- Transfer the pate to a well-greased terrine dish, cover it tightly, and put it in the crockpot.
- Pour water into the slow cooker, up to halfway up the terrine dish.
- Cook for 6 hours on medium (or 1 hour on high and then 8 hours on low if your crockpot does not have a medium setting).
- Cut the toast slices into rounds using a cookie cutter and top each one with pate and some salad leaves or herbs.
- Drizzle the serving platter, or each serving plate, with balsamic vinegar before arranging the pate canapés on top.
You can see how the pate looks on the toast and you can also see how nice it is served in a terrine or matching cocottes (small pottery dishes) because that way it looks unmistakably homemade, offering all the charm of a homemade appetizer. Pate is not going to dry out in the crockpot, like it might in the oven, which is why a slow-cooked pate recipe is a sensible choice for anybody making pate for the first time. You can be pretty much guaranteed the results will be as good as you hoped. Decorate the pate with a sprig of fresh herbs like in the photo if you like.
2 Responses to Tasty Brandied Chicken Liver Pate Recipe
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13788 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)