Curried Eggplant Salads and Appetizers
This is such a simple idea for a crockpot appetizer recipe but sometimes the simple ideas are the best ones. In the following recipe, eggplant, onion, and tomatoes are cooked with curry powder, cumin, garlic and more to make a curried vegetable dish which is nice served with salad leaves. This is an aromatic and flavorful dish and you could even serve the eggplant mixture in tartlet shells or in vol-au-vent cases rather than with the salad leaves, if you wish. You can serve this warm or chilled; both ways are good.
Eggplant, which is known as aubergine in British English, is a tasty vegetable which a lot of people think they do not like because of its bitter flavor. If you salt the slices and then let them sit in a colander for half an hour, before rinsing them off, you will find the bitterness disappears with the salt. This is such a simple tip but so handy and unfortunately it is one that not many people seem to be aware of.
You can serve this tasty curried eggplant salad appetizer with sour cream, yogurt, or anything else you like. The sour cream or yogurt is always nice with the curry taste. To make this easy appetizer recipe, you simply need to add everything to the slow cooker and let it cook. The cooking time is up to you but it will be fine in there for up to seven hours if you want to start it plenty in advance. Just switch the crockpot off when it is done and do not lift the lid. That way the curried eggplant mixture inside will stay warm until you are ready to serve it.
- 1 sliced yellow onion
- 1 sliced eggplant
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ can chicken broth
- 2 diced fresh tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh cilantro
- Salad leaves
- Cooking spray
- Sour cream, mayonnaise, yogurt, balsamic vinegar (your choice), to serve
- Grease your crockpot with cooking spray and add everything except the cilantro, salad leaves, and other garnishes.
- Stir the mixture in the slow cooker and cook it on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the eggplant and onion and serve it over the salad leaves.
- Serve sour cream, mayonnaise, or yogurt on the side, and decorate the plate with balsamic vinegar and cilantro leaves.
As the photo shows, this is a colorful and juicy looking appetizer recipe. Eggplant is easy to cook and crockpot cooking makes even the most delicious recipe a pleasure to prepare. Why not combine these tasty vegetables and other ingredients and make this mouthwatering Indian spiced eggplant salad appetizer recipe for your dinner guests? This is suitable for a buffet, get-together, dinner party or any other event. You might even like to make it for a family lunch or exciting al fresco dinner. Eggplant has a unique flavor and the aromatic spices really complement it.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37779 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29236 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21328 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15693 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13794 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)