Elegant Shrimp Guacamole Appetizer
Avocado and shrimp make wonderful partners. One popular appetizer is made by combining shrimp with Thousand Island dressing and serving it in half an avocado, in the hole left by removing the stone. Shrimp cocktail is also popular, and that also combines the shrimp with Thousand Island dressing and salad ingredients. The following recipe also pairs these ingredients but in a slightly different way. The avocado is transformed into a tasty homemade guacamole, by adding red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and some jalapeno for heat, and then it is topped with a plump, juicy shrimp.
This makes a very attractive appetizer and is an unusual yet delicious way of pairing these lovely ingredients for a visual feast as well as a flavorful one. Use large shrimp if you can get them, and make sure you remove the black vein which runs along the back. Although it is possible to eat that part, it is often gritty (it is the digestive tract after all, and often contains sand and grit) so it is best to take it out before you cook the shrimp.
Serve this just as it is, or with a couple of slices of French bread or some chips on the side. You can serve this as a buffet appetizer if you prefer. Simply serve the guacamole on a chilled platter and the shrimp from another bowl, so people can help themselves to some of each.
- 2 peeled, diced avocados
- ½ chopped red onion plus a few thin slices
- ½ bunch chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 12 peeled, deveined jumbo shrimp
- 1 chopped jalapeno
- Sliced red chilies, for garnish
- 4 lime wedges, to serve
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Put the avocados in a blender or food processor with the red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Whiz for a few seconds or until well combined.
- If you do not have a blender or food processor, finely chop the ingredients and simply stir them together.
- Boil the shrimp in water for 2 minutes or until pink.
- Spoon 3 dollops of guacamole on to each serving plate, then top each dollop with a shrimp.
- Garnish with strips of red onion, slices of red chili pepper and lime wedges.
By looking at this shot you can see the understated elegance of this shrimp appetizer. The bright colors give it an appealing, fresh look, and the homemade guacamole is magnificent. If you are used to eating the kind of guacamole you buy in a package then you will be blown away by this incredible fresh guacamole recipe, because it is so good. Shrimp and avocado are often teamed in appetizer recipes, and this is one of the best recipes you can make if you are looking for an elegant appetizer which is also easy to prepare.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29233 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21324 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16225 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13789 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)