The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe
If you are looking for a great crab Rangoon recipe, this one is worthy of your consideration, not only because it is authentic, but also because it is very easy. Crab Rangoon are deep-fried wontons of American-Chinese origin. They are stuffed with a crab, green onion and cream cheese mixture and deep-fried in oil until crispy. These delicacies are known as crab puffs in Pacific Northwest states, where they are often made with puff pastry rather than wonton wrappers. Other names include crab cheese wontons and crab pillows.
This dish is believed to have been created in Trader Vic’s, a restaurant in San Francisco. Cream cheese is not used in authentic Chinese cuisine, so the recipe is a kind of fusion dish using wonton wrappers which are Chinese, cream cheese which is Western, and crab which is both. Often found on Chinese restaurant menus outside of China, these little treats are good served hot, with sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, duck sauce, plum sauce or sweet chili sauce on the side.
Wontons in China are often made using pork and shrimp with other seasonings, but if you like cream cheese and crab, why not make these and compare them? The creamy crab mixture makes a lovely filling and you can either use well-drained crabmeat from a can, fresh crabmeat, or imitation crab. This recipe is especially easy because you simply mix the filling ingredients, fill the wonton wrappers, seal them and fry them. They only take about half a minute to cook because the filling ingredients are already cooked. The wonton skins simply need to crisp up in the oil.
- 20 wonton wrappers
- 6 oz flaked crabmeat or chopped imitation crab
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 2 chopped green onions
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Sweet chili sauce (or your favorite Asian sauce) for dipping
- Combine the crab, soy sauce, cream cheese, garlic, green onion, salt and pepper.
- Lay out the 20 wonton wrappers and divide the filling between them.
- You will use about a teaspoon of filling in each one.
- Dip your finger in cold water and wet the outside edge of the wonton wrappers.
- Pinch the edges together to seal, and try to get all the air out as you do this.
- You can either gather them up moneybag-style or fold them over to make triangles.
- Deep-fry the crab Rangoon wontons in oil heated to 350 degrees F, in batches.
- Each batch will only take about 30 seconds.
- Drain on paper towels, then serve hot, with chili sauce for dipping.
You can tell from one quick glimpse at the photo how very crispy these are. The outside of the wontons gets really crunchy while the filling becomes warm and oozy. The crab and cream cheese are beautiful together, and the garlic, soy sauce and green onion adds the finishing touches to the flavor. Serve these hot with your favorite dipping sauce. Sweet chili sauce is good but sweet and sour sauce works really nicely with the tang of the cream cheese, offering a good contrast. Although the recipe makes 20 in total, you could serve 4 per person if you want to serve this as the first course of a meal.
Leave a Reply
- Delicate Mini Smoked Salmon and Caviar Appetizer August 26, 2014
- Crispy Vegetable Spring Rolls August 24, 2014
- Spicy Crockpot Queso Dip August 18, 2014
- Crayfish and Salmon Terrine August 16, 2014
- All is Good Again March 8, 2014
- Our Wow’s with Rich Pins March 6, 2014
- Eggs Stuffed with Tuna Appetizer Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (19254 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (18471 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (15821 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (14418 Views)
- Home (13199 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (11987 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (11785 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (11068 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (10513 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (9401 Views)
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe (9139 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (8689 Views)
- Smoked Salmon and Caper Canapés (8521 Views)
- Grape Jelly Meatball Sauce Recipe (8335 Views)
- Simple Yet Elegant Beef Tenderloin Appetizers (7679 Views)