Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese
Now you could make this full size and make it into a main meal if you like but in this smaller size as we are using them here they make a delightful appetizer recipe. Many when they here crepes or think of them think of them as a dessert item but as you will see in the following recipe they can be teamed up with savor ingredients and used to make a delightful savory dish instead. The crepe is merely a deliver vessel in this recipe mainly the true stars of the show are the wonderful smoked salmon and the combination of the feta and cream cheese blended into one which give each other a bit more savory taste then the cream cheese would have on its own. To further enhance this I add a bit of fresh chive and dill to the mixture and it makes for one well balanced filling for our crepes.
As smoked salmon can be a bit pricy I would suggest reserving this recipe for when you are having a special dinner with someone or a smaller group as this would get kind of expensive for a large crowd. Now feel free if money is of no question this surely will make a statement as it is not the normal pigs in a blanket kind of appetizer. It will also more likely go over with a more mature crowd then with the kids most kids are not too keen on fish as where a more mature pallet will adore them and truly appreciate what you have served up.
Also as I mention somewhere in this post I get lost as to where I am about this point in the writing process sorry if I am repeating but it deserves a second mention that these can be made ahead of time and then just covered loosely with plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator just take them out a bit ahead of your serving time so they can come to about room temperature is best so the cheese is soft instead of real hard. Because the fish is smoked they will do ok out without ice well for a normal day you don’t want to put them out in the sun for like a cookout though would be pushing it. But for a nice regular day inside they will do well at room temp for a decent amount of time.
- 1⅔ cups King Arthur Flour 100% Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted at room temperature
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten slightly
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 16 ounces Alaska Smoked Salmon, Sockeye, Wild
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoon fresh chive, chopped
- Fresh Cracked pepper to taste
- Add the following ingredients to your blender in the following order: eggs, butter, half and half, vanilla extract, white sugar, sea salt and all purpose flour.
- Place the lid on the blender and allow blending until the mixture is smooth in consistency.
- Place this in a covered container and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove batter from fridge and give a quick whisk to make sure everything is total mixed.
- Heat a small skillet or non-stick frying pan about eight inches in diameter to a medium heat and then lightly coat this with a little butter or butter flavored cooking spray.
- Using a ¼ cup measure ladle the batter out into the middle of the pan and rotating the pan until it covers the bottom forming a thin layer and resembles a crepe.
- Allow to cook until it is golden brown on the bottom and the top becomes dry about a minute a piece.
- Carefully flip it so you do not tear it and cook them an additional thirty seconds or so on the other side.
- Repeat for the rest of the batter until you have a stack of mini pancakes to work with to help prevent sticking together place a layer of parchment paper in between the crepes.
- In a bowl with tall sides add all the filling ingredients except the salmon and using a fork or immersion blender blend until everything is smooth and well blended. This works best if the cream cheese is at room temperature and soft.
- Take a crepe and using a butter knife smear a thin layer of the cheese mixture onto the crepe. Top this with a thin layer of the salmon and then roll the crepe into a roll or log shape. Cut each in half and add to a serving platter and continue until you have used all your ingredients.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh dill and serve.
- You can make these ahead of time just loosely cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Cream cheese and smoked salmon are not strangers to partnering together in dishes a very famous ethnic recipe calls for cream cheese and smoked salmon on a bagel and this is considered a true treat by many. It is no wonder then that I decided to marry these two ingredients into a mini pancake roll and give it the addition of some feta cheese to give it a little bite to the mixture and liven it up just a little bit. I also bring a little dill and chive into this chive is one of my all-time favorite additions to cream cheese the two are such a natural in my book and in this recipe a true must ingredient to pull everything together.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)