Delicate Mini Smoked Salmon and Caviar Appetizer
If you are looking for big, hearty appetizers, this is probably the opposite to what you had in mind, but these amazing salmon and caviar appetizers have their own merits. Perhaps you are tired of chips and dips, sliders and potato skins, and would prefer something a bit different this time, in which case have a look at this recipe. It could be that you were looking for something dainty and elegant, in which case this is ideal.
You can make these little treats up to an hour ahead, as long as you keep them refrigerated, and you need very few ingredients. Serve this in glasses or in large Chinese-style spoons, as you prefer. It is better in glasses though, so the attractive layers are visible.
This appetizer is basically a layered amuse-bouche (a pre-appetizer) and it is small and light enough to serve with a cocktail before your main appetizer. Two kinds of caviar are layered with sour cream and then topped with smoked salmon and chives. The concept is simple but the result is incredible. A quick word about the caviar: match it to your budget – you do not have to bankrupt yourself. Fish eggs range from the economically priced to the extortionate, so buy whichever you can afford. Even the cheap ones taste nice and only a connoisseur can appreciate, or even identify, the truly expensive ones.
- 2 oz red caviar
- 2 oz black caviar
- 8 oz sour cream
- 4 oz chopped smoked salmon
- Chives, for garnish
- Divide ¼ of the sour cream between 4 small glasses.
- Top with ¼ of the black caviar, then ½ of the red caviar.
- Repeat these layers, finishing with a layer of black caviar and finally a layer of cream.
- So the layers will be cream, black caviar, red caviar, cream, black caviar, red caviar, cream, black caviar, and cream.
- Top with the salmon and chives.
- Serve these delicate appetizers with dainty little spoons.
You might think this looks like a lot of sour cream and caviar, until you realize you are looking at a glass which is not much larger than a shot glass and a spoon. This appetizer only gives you a couple of mouthfuls, but great things come in small packages, and you are sure to enjoy every bite of this fantastic seafood treat. Choose the glasses over the spoons though, unless you do not have enough, because being able to see the red, black and white strips is a large part of the appeal of this delicious smoked salmon appetizer. If you are serving wine with this, pick something dry like a Sauvignon Blanc. This appetizer gives you a thrilling taste of the ocean and you will love the creaminess and contrasting saltiness.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37778 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29235 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21327 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16226 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13792 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)