Cream Cheese Crab Appetizers Recipe
These delicious crab appetizers are served on top of cucumber slices, which make a nice change from bread or crackers as a base. The crabmeat mixture in this cucumber appetizer contains basil, onion, cream cheese, lemon and more and this is a light and refreshing appetizer with a wonderfully aromatic flavor.
You will need to serve these immediately while they are chilled and obviously this is not one of our party appetizer recipes to serve outdoors on a hot day! Whether you use fresh crabmeat or canned crab, make sure it is well drained, else these crab appetizers will be mushy because of the excess liquid. Perhaps you fancy making these with canned salmon or mackerel instead of crab. Even tuna would work. If you like shrimp appetizers and other seafood appetizers, there is no doubt that you will enjoy these easy party appetizers too.
The smooth, mild flavor of cucumber goes wonderfully with the lemon and basil scented crab mixture. These are fancy appetizer recipes but they are deceptively simple to prepare. You can make as many of these as you like at once and just keep them in the refrigerator for up to an hour.
- 2 tablespoons red onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel
- 1 cup frozen cooked crabmeat
- 3 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 tablespoons salad dressing
- Cut the cucumber into 24 slices, grate the lemon peel, and finely chop the red onion.
- Chop the basil leaves.
- Thaw and flake the frozen crabmeat.
- If you cannot find frozen crabmeat, you can use a 6 oz can but make sure you drain it well before using it.
- Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on a low speed until it is smooth.
- Add the salad dressing and beat some more.
- Add the onion, basil, crabmeat and lemon peel and stir until well mixed.
- Spread a teaspoon of crabmeat mixture on to every slice of cucumber and serve immediately.
Topping the cucumber slices and crab salad with chives and caviar might look like overkill, but this photo shows you how you could transform this basic dish if you were to make it for a dinner party or special occasion. For something a bit more casual, you can make the slices regular thickness and simply add a small scoop of crab salad to each one. Not only does swapping the usual crackers for cucumber mean fewer calories and carbs, but you will find the cucumber really refreshing when combined with the tasty salad mixture.
Leave a Reply
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Salmon Roe and Sour Cream January 21, 2016
- Anchovy and Dill Canapes January 19, 2016
- Spanish Seafood Stuffed Egg Appetizers January 14, 2016
- Lamb Chops with Cucumber Slaw January 11, 2016
- Seared Scallops over Rice Timbales January 8, 2016
- Pork Potstickers with Soy-Chili Dipping Sauce January 5, 2016
- Feta Cheese and Tomato Deviled Eggs January 2, 2016
- Healthy Ratatouille Stuffed Peppers December 29, 2015
- Palate-Cleansing Citrus Sorbet Appetizers December 26, 2015
- Easy Shrimp and Cottage Cheese Canapes December 23, 2015
- Home (36572 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (27666 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (23742 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21131 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (20100 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (15334 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (14933 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (14451 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (12387 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (11897 Views)