Cream Cheese Crab Appetizers Recipe
These delicious crab appetizers are served on top of cucumber slices, which make a nice change from bread or crackers as a base. The crabmeat mixture in this cucumber appetizer contains basil, onion, cream cheese, lemon and more and this is a light and refreshing appetizer with a wonderfully aromatic flavor.
You will need to serve these immediately while they are chilled and obviously this is not one of our party appetizer recipes to serve outdoors on a hot day! Whether you use fresh crabmeat or canned crab, make sure it is well drained, else these crab appetizers will be mushy because of the excess liquid. Perhaps you fancy making these with canned salmon or mackerel instead of crab. Even tuna would work. If you like shrimp appetizers and other seafood appetizers, there is no doubt that you will enjoy these easy party appetizers too.
The smooth, mild flavor of cucumber goes wonderfully with the lemon and basil scented crab mixture. These are fancy appetizer recipes but they are deceptively simple to prepare. You can make as many of these as you like at once and just keep them in the refrigerator for up to an hour.
- 2 tablespoons red onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel
- 1 cup frozen cooked crabmeat
- 3 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 tablespoons salad dressing
- Cut the cucumber into 24 slices, grate the lemon peel, and finely chop the red onion.
- Chop the basil leaves.
- Thaw and flake the frozen crabmeat.
- If you cannot find frozen crabmeat, you can use a 6 oz can but make sure you drain it well before using it.
- Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer on a low speed until it is smooth.
- Add the salad dressing and beat some more.
- Add the onion, basil, crabmeat and lemon peel and stir until well mixed.
- Spread a teaspoon of crabmeat mixture on to every slice of cucumber and serve immediately.
Topping the cucumber slices and crab salad with chives and caviar might look like overkill, but this photo shows you how you could transform this basic dish if you were to make it for a dinner party or special occasion. For something a bit more casual, you can make the slices regular thickness and simply add a small scoop of crab salad to each one. Not only does swapping the usual crackers for cucumber mean fewer calories and carbs, but you will find the cucumber really refreshing when combined with the tasty salad mixture.
Leave a Reply
- All is Good Again March 8, 2014
- Our Wow’s with Rich Pins March 6, 2014
- Eggs Stuffed with Tuna Appetizer Recipe December 21, 2013
- Baked Cheese Olive Appetizer Recipe December 21, 2013
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two December 21, 2013
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Appetizer Recipe December 20, 2013
- Grape and Roquefort Cheese Canapes December 19, 2013
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (19060 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (18263 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (15201 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (14033 Views)
- Home (13067 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (11804 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (11502 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (10934 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (10059 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (9199 Views)
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe (8996 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (8535 Views)
- Grape Jelly Meatball Sauce Recipe (8220 Views)
- Smoked Salmon and Caper Canapés (8168 Views)
- Simple Yet Elegant Beef Tenderloin Appetizers (7542 Views)