How to Make Spring Rolls
The crisp texture of vegetables and the savory combination of the seasonings makes these spring rolls very popular as an appetizer. If you want to know how to make spring rolls the Chinese way, read on. Egg rolls and spring rolls are both called spring rolls in the UK and the two terms are interchangeable. Sometimes however spring rolls have a thinner, almost translucent, wrapper. This is not always the case though.
Spring rolls are Chinese. Egg rolls are westernized. These are easy party appetizers and they are nice served with a delicious dip such as sweet and sour sauce or plum sauce. As with most appetizers, a homemade sauce does proper justice to these warm, crisp, and fresh spring rolls and serving them warm keeps their wonderful aroma flowing out.
Whatever kind of dish you are serving for a main course, these delicious spring rolls will whet the appetites of your guests and sustain them before the entree is ready. The combination of meat, bean sprouts, cabbage, mushrooms and more makes a wonderful filling for these little treats. Spring rolls are easy to make but a lot of people rely on readymade ones, which just need to be thrown into hot oil for a few minutes. Making your own is fun and they taste really good.
- 2 cups of meat (Chinese BBQ pork, cooked ham, chicken, shrimp, or pork all work well)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 ½ cups cabbage or Chinese cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup bamboo shoots, cut julienne
- 6 Chinese dried black mushrooms, reconstituted then cut julienne
- 2 shredded scallions
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 4 cup oil for deep frying
- Heat some oil in a work and stir fry the meat, cooking it through if you are using raw meat.
- Add the vegetables and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Combine the oyster sauce, broth, cornstarch, and sugar. Add this mixture to the wok and stir fry until the sauce is thick.
- Let it cool down.
- Position an egg roll wrapper like a diamond with a point facing you. Put a couple of tablespoons of filling in a log shape across the base, a couple of inches from the lowest corner.
- Fold up the bottom corner and tuck it behind the filling.
- Roll the wrapper up so the filling is contained.
- Moisten the 3 other corners with beaten egg.
- Fold the left and right corners to the middle and press down well to seal, making an envelope. Seal the top corner when everything is rolled up and repeat with the other wrappers.
- You can refrigerate them at this point if you want to cook them later.
- If so, cover them with saran wrap. Heat 4 cups of oil to between 360 and 375 degrees F and deep fry the spring rolls, several at a time, until they are golden and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with a dip.
If you want to learn how to make spring rolls this is a great recipe to follow because the spring rolls are so simple to make and they are guaranteed to have a really good texture and flavor. Make a sweet and sour dipping sauce for them and you have a great appetizer. Whether you serve each person a couple of fresh spring rolls or whether you arrange them on a platter as a buffet appetizer, there is no doubt that these delicious and crunchy morsels will be very popular.
One Response to How to Make Spring Rolls
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37773 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16208 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15689 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15158 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)