Hot Bubble Cakes
If you are looking for easy party appetizers for St Patrick’s Day, what about making these tasty bubble and squeak cakes? Bubble and squeak is sometimes known as bubble and it is traditionally made from leftover mashed potato and leftover vegetables. These bubble and squeak cakes are so tasty though that it is worth making mashed potatoes and cooking vegetables to make them from scratch.
You can add peas, carrots or any other leftover vegetables to the mixture. Traditionally bubble was served with leftover meat from a roast dinner as well as pickles. This recipe is popular throughout the UK and Ireland, although it is known as bubble and scrape in certain areas. The name is thought to refer to the sounds made during cooking. This was a popular recipe during World War II when foods were rationed. You can also get canned versions and readymade frozen versions but nothing beats a homemade bubble and squeak recipe.
Serve these tasty, easy party appetizers hot with ketchup or salsa for dipping and your guests will love them. These are unusual appetizers but they are always popular because they are full of flavor. If you prefer them with a crunchy coating, choose cornmeal or polenta rather than flour.
- 3 floury potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal, polenta or all purpose flour
- Handful Brussels sprouts, broccoli or cabbage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Peel the potatoes and chop them.
- Boil them in salted water until soft, and then drain them.
- Cook the Brussels sprouts, broccoli or cabbage until soft, then drain and chop.
- Mash the butter into the potatoes, and then stir in the greens, parsley, salt and black pepper.
- Shape the bubble and squeak into flat rounds.
- Dust them with cornmeal, polenta or flour and put them on a plate.
- Chill for half an hour.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and cook the bubble and squeak cakes until they are brown.
- Flip them over and brown the other side. Serve hot.
These bubble cakes are unusual and delicious. If you want to make hot appetizers, you will find these very simple to make. Serve them at a buffet or even with a homemade dip or sauce at a sit down dinner. You can also serve bubble and squeak as a side dish, a snack or even a breakfast. Their crunchy exterior and smooth, creamy interior makes them really mouthwatering and if you have potatoes and vegetables to use up, making bubble cakes is an ideal way to do it. Serve these at Christmas, for St Patrick’s Day or on any other occasion and they are sure to be well loved, by adults and kids alike.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- No Results for Our Top Rated Recipes
- No Results for Our Top Rated Articles
- Home (22897 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (15070 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (12960 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (10753 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (8635 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (8607 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (7539 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (6967 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (6904 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (6872 Views)