Candied Lemon Peel Appetizers
Making candied lemon peel is a great way to use up leftover lemon rind. It is great as an appetizer, as a snack with coffee or to decorate cakes. You can also chop it up and put it in cookies. Candied lemon peel tastes just like candy and you can actually use any citrus fruit to make candied fruit recipes. You might like to substitute orange peel, lime peel or grapefruit peel for the lemon peel, depending on how you are going to use it.
Cloves and brandy are used in some candied orange peel recipes and candied lemon peel recipes to add a spicy flavor but a simple sugar and water combination is perfect for the basic candied lemon peel recipe. You might like to make candied orange peel and candied lemon peel and serve them together.
This is such a simple recipe and a versatile one also. Serve candied lemon peel as a garnish, as a decoration to brighten up a bowl of green salad, as a topping for lemon cheesecake or a lemon pudding or serve it by itself for people to snack on. Lemon is very bitter, as you know, but candied lemon peel is sweet and juicy.
- 3 lemons
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups water
- Cut the lemons into slices and take out the fruit pulp.
- Scrape off as much white pith as possible with a butter knife.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the lemon peels.
- Boil them for 5 minutes until soft, and then take them out of the water.
- Stir the sugar into the water and bring it back to a boil.
- Add the peels again and boil them until they are transparent.
- Drain the lemon peels and let them dry before storing.
- You might want to keep the cooking liquid to use as a lemon syrup in another recipe.
Serve candied lemon peel with nuts, cheese and other savory bites, like you see in the photo, or use the slices to garnish your choice of canapés, tartlets or snacks. These are very simple to make and they will keep for a while once they are made, so make them well ahead if you wish, to free up your time to work on the other dishes. Lemon of course has a naturally tart flavor but adding sugar lends a sweetness to the overall flavor, making them tastier and even more versatile, as well as extending their shelf life.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13788 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)