Authentic Chinese Pork Buns Recipe
You might have tried Hawaiian pork buns before but this Chinese version of pork buns is really tasty too. You need to make the buns and the filling and then combine the two and steam them.
These are make ahead appetizers, if that helps with your party planning, because you can make this Chinese pork buns recipe in advance and freeze the pork buns until you are ready. Then they just need to be thawed in their plastic bag and steamed for ten minutes. These pre-made barbeque pork buns will taste just as good as if you make them and cook them in one go.
These pork steamed buns are made from fluffy dough and the filling is a combination of pork, garlic, scallion, oyster sauce and more for a real taste of the East. If you have enjoyed an authentic Chinese pork buns recipe in a Chinese restaurant, you will love this easy party appetizers recipe because you can make your own delicious Chinese pork buns recipe at home for your guests.
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 envelope dried yeast
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 finely chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- ½ lb barbecued pork, chopped into small cubes
- 1 finely chopped clove garlic
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water, then add 1 cup of the flour and mix well. Cover the mixture with a cloth and let it rise for an hour or until bubbles begin to appear.
- Dissolve the vegetable oil and sugar in the boiling water and stir well. Let the mixture cool until it is lukewarm, and then mix it into the yeast mixture, adding the rest of the flour.
- Knead the dough on a floured board until it is smooth, and then transfer it to a big, greased bowl.
- Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rise in a warm place for a couple of hours or until it has doubled in bulk.
- Next, make the filling.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok and stir fry the garlic and scallion for half a minute. Add the pork and stir fry it for a minute.
- Add the sugar, oyster sauce, and soy sauce.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch and stir fry the mixture until the pork is glazed.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let it cool.
- Knead the dough for a minute on a floured board and roll it into a 2 inch wide sausage shape.
- Slice it into 1 inch pieces, flattening them with your hand and using a rolling pin to roll them into 3 inch rounds.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the pork filling in the middle of each round, and then gather up the dough around the filling.
- Put each filled bun on a 2 inch piece of aluminum foil on a steamer tray, and then cover them with a towel.
- Let the filled buns rise for an hour or until the dough is springy.
- Take the towel off, brush with sesame seed oil, and steam the buns for 10 minutes over boiling water.
Not only is this Chinese pork buns recipe delicious but it is simple too. These easy party appetizers are ideal for all kinds of get-togethers and parties and if you want hot appetizer recipes, this is one of the most delicious Asian appetizers you can make. The combination of soy sauce, scallions, garlic, and pork and oyster sauce is amazing and the fluffy homemade dough enclosing the filling is mouthwatering too. These are make ahead appetizers if you want to make them in advance and they freeze and thaw perfectly.
2 Responses to Authentic Chinese Pork Buns Recipe
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37773 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16208 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15689 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15158 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)