Mexican Christmas Food Empanadas
There are lots of recipes for Christmas food because this is a time of year when people love to indulge in the best appetizer recipes and really enjoy eating, drinking and making merry! These curry spiced tuna empanadas are really tasty and they are lightly curried, making them satisfying and warming and ideal Christmas fare. It is nice to add an international touch to your Christmas buffet table, which is why German Christmas food and Mexican Christmas food are becoming almost as popular as the more traditional snacks and appetizers associated with Christmas.
Use tuna in spring water to make these if possible. If you can only get tuna in oil, make sure you drain it really well and perhaps rinse it to remove the oil. You can also replace the korma curry paste with a madras curry paste if you know for sure your guests will like the spicier flavor. The concept of empanadas is very south American and these little treats are much loved in Mexico. The filling however is more Indian in flavor. The taste overall is a fusion of Mexican and Indian influences and you might want to double the recipe for these tasty tuna empanadas because your guests will certainly want more than one.
If you are looking for make ahead appetizers, you can freeze these empanadas before baking them, and then just thaw them overnight in the refrigerator before your Christmas party. Christmas foods which can be made in advance area always appreciated. If you prefer to make entree-sized empanadas you can cut the pastry into six inch rounds instead of little three inch rounds. Of course, the cooking time will be a bit longer.
- 1 lb can tuna
- ½ cup mushrooms
- 4 ½ oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 carrot
- 10 sheets short crust pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ cup korma curry paste
- 10 ½ oz can corn kernels
- Mango chutney, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F.
- Let the pastry partially thaw.
- Drain the tuna and the corn kernels.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- Peel and grate the carrot.
- Combine the tuna, cream cheese, mushrooms, carrot and corn in a bowl and mix well.
- Cut the short crust pastry into 3 inch rounds and divide the tuna mixture between them. Fold the pastry over to make half circles and use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Beat the egg lightly with the milk and brush this mixture over the empanadas.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and arrange the empanadas on it.
- Bake until they are crispy and golden. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Serve the empanadas warm with mango chutney for dipping.
Christmas food is all about combining classic holiday appetizer recipes with a few exotic ones, just for a contrast. These spiced empanadas are so delicious. They are the perfect snack to enjoy with a cup of mulled wine or hot apple cider at Christmas. Serve them warm with a bowl of mango chutney for dipping and everyone will love their incredible flavor. You won’t find curried empanadas in Christmas food gift baskets unless you make your own but they are ideal buffet fare. Easy party appetizers like these are also nice before Christmas dinner because they are light enough and small enough not to be too filling.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37804 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29296 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24734 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21820 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21391 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16262 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15726 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15184 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13852 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13405 Views)