Best Superbowl Chili Recipe
What makes the best Superbowl chili? One of the favorite appetizers for this occasion is good hot chili, but what makes chili con carne? First you want a chili that is spicy but not too hot and you want something quick and easy to make. This featured chili recipe has got all the ingredients necessary to be the best Superbowl chili ever. Give it a try and decide for yourself if it is the best appetizer for Superbowl.
Although chili is usually served with rice or cornbread, as a satisfying meal, swap the bowls for mugs and omit the rice and cornbread, and you have a lovely appetizer-sized portion of chili to enjoy. Serve some tortilla chips on the side, or some individual cornbread muffins perhaps. This recipe is highly tweak-able. You can adjust the spice factor to make it as hot or as mild as you wish. Serve extra hot sauce on the side in case anyone wants to spice theirs up even more.
Leave out the cumin and/or oregano if you prefer, or even add a pinch of unsweetened cocoa powder to add a rich and exciting flavor. You can swap the chili beans for corn, the ground beef for ground pork, and the diced tomatoes with chilies for regular diced tomatoes. Also, feel free to add minced garlic (when you add the onion) or any other chili ingredients you want to add. This is a wonderful Tex-Mex dish, and if you tweak it to make it suit your palate perfectly, you will be really impressed with the flavor and so glad you made it. The recipe is really easy too. After browning the meat and sautéing the onion, simply add the remaining ingredients and let the mixture simmer for half an hour, after which time it is ready. If you want, swap the large pot for a crockpot and let it cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 14 oz can kidney beans
- 7 oz can chili beans
- 7 oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
- Grated cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet and drain off the fat.
- Add the onion, chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often
- Put the un-drained can of chili beans plus all the remaining ingredients in a large pot.
- Add the beef mixture and stir it all together to combine.
- Heat until bubbly and then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro and grated cheese over the chili before serving, if liked.
- Serve in bowls with warm cornbread or boiled rice for a filling meal, or serve smaller portions in mugs as an appetizer.
- This meal can be prepared up to 2 days ahead and then reheated if you want.
You cannot go wrong with a homemade chili recipe, especially if Superbowl is imminent and comfort food is the order of the day. This particular chili is hot and spicy (although you can tame the spice factor if you wish) and it boasts beans as well as the juicy meat and flavorful spices. Making chili is very simple whether you make it on the stove or transfer the mixture into your crockpot and let it cook on low all day long. Served with grated cheese and cilantro like in the picture, or with sour cream if you prefer, this makes a lovely appetizer, snack or meal, and it tastes even better when reheated the next day.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37778 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29235 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21327 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16226 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13792 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)