Savory Shrimp Appetizers Recipes and Leek Tartlets
Tartlets are always a nice idea, especially if you are having guests over and you want to offer them something really tasty to enjoy with their first drink. They are also good at a buffet. These shrimp and leek tartlets are mouthwateringly good and they feature mushrooms, parsley and berries, as well as the shrimp and leek. The filling is a creamy sauce made with butter, flour, and milk.
You can also add some chopped fresh parsley to the filling if you want to. These tartlets are easy to make and you can either use puff pastry or readymade tartlet cases or vol-au-vent cases for them. These little snacks are best served hot and they smell amazing while they are in the oven. If it is easier for you, or if you have a lot to make, you can prepare the filling earlier in the day and simply keep it in the refrigerator in a covered container until you are ready to assemble the tartlets. Do not fill the tartlets more than half an hour before baking them or they might go soggy.
Shrimp goes well with all kinds of vegetables and leeks offer a similar flavor to onion but milder and slightly different, so it is a nice ingredient to include in these mushroom and shrimp pastries. If you prefer to use onion then of course you can; use about the same quantity so one onion can be substituted for your leek. Red onion would be tasty or sweet onion like Vidalia would good too.
- 1 small chopped leek
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 7 oz peeled shrimp
- 3 ½ oz chopped mushrooms
- 8 redcurrants or black grape halves
- 8 vol-au-vent cases or 7 oz puff pastry
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley, to garnish
- Lightly fry the leek in the butter and remove from the heat.
- Add the flour and stir until you get a thick paste.
- Add a bit of the milk and stir well.
- Keep adding the milk and stirring the mixture, heating the sauce over a low heat.
- Heat until the sauce boils, stirring all the time.
- Add the mushrooms and shrimp and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of ¼ inch, and then divide it into 8 circles.
- Divide the mixture between each circle and roll the sides up.
- Alternatively, use readymade vol-au-vent cases.
- Place them on a baking tray and brush the top of each pastry with a bit of milk.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and garnish each one with a berry or grape half and some parsley.
- If you are using vol-au-vent cases, the tartlets might only need half the cooking time.
- Serve immediately.
As you can see from the picture, these delightful little shrimp, and leek tartlets look beautiful when you garnish them with berries and fresh parsley, adding a splash of color. These tartlets with shrimp are very appetizing and if you are looking for easy canapé recipes, you will find these simple to prepare and wonderful tasting. Shrimp is always a great flavor and your guests will love the way the shrimp combines with the leek and how the creamy sauce envelopes the shrimp and leek in flavor and gives these little tartlets a nice texture.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37780 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29240 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24693 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21798 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21331 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15696 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15160 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13796 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13362 Views)