Egg and Satsuma Puff Pastry Appetizers
These appetizers are really unusual, combining hard-boiled egg in garlic mayonnaise with mandarin segments, lettuce, and fresh snipped chives. You can use thawed pastry to make these but make sure it is still very cold, because if it gets too warm it will be sticky and harder to work with.
You can actually adapt the filling for these appetizers however you like. If you want to replace the egg with tuna mayonnaise or something else, that is fine. Swap the mandarin segments for halved strawberries if you prefer, or grapes, and you can also add some cheese to these appetizers. The pastry disks give you something to work with.
Just remember you will need some kind of moisture in there, else they will be too dry, which is why we are using a little vinaigrette (that also adds flavor) as well as the garlic mayonnaise.
- 14 oz thawed all-butter puff pastry
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Few drops lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette
- 10 fresh mandarin segments
- Handful of chopped salad leaves
- 20 - 30 chopped fresh chives
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Roll the puff pastry out to a 16 x 12 inch rectangle and transfer it on to a baking sheet.
- Cut out 30 circles and freeze them until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put 10 pastry rounds on there. Cover with more parchment paper.
- Add another baking sheet and 10 more rounds. If you have a third baking sheet, add more parchment paper and then that.
- If not, bake the rounds for 30 minutes and then reuse one of the baking sheets to cook the last 10.
- The pastry rounds are cooked when they are golden brown.
- Let them cool on a wire rack.
- Stir the garlic and lemon juice into the mayonnaise and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay out 10 of the pastry rounds on a platter and top each one with a mandarin orange segment and half the lettuce.
- Divide ⅓ of the garlic mayonnaise between them and add a second pastry round to each one.
- Top with the remaining lettuce and divide the vinaigrette between them. Top this with a final pastry round.
- Top each appetizer with ½ a hard-boiled egg and the remaining garlic mayonnaise, pressing down on them a bit so they do not topple over.
- Sprinkle chives over the appetizers and serve chilled or at room temperature.
You can see from the photo how the pastry, egg, mandarin segments and other ingredients make cute little appetizers and the chives really adds a touch of sophistication so use plenty. This recipe is very simple to follow and you can prepare the ingredients for the pastry stacks as the pastry rounds are baking to golden brown perfection. You can serve this delicious garlic-flavored appetizer recipe chilled or at room temperature. You can also use the pastry disks fresh from the oven if you want to serve these warm. This is an unusual appetizer recipe and it is especially wonderful when served with your favorite California wine.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37778 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29235 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21327 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16226 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13792 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)