Amazing Artichoke Appetizer Tartlets
If you enjoy shrimp tartlets, mushroom tartlets or even sweet ones like pecan tartlets or lemon blueberry tartlets, why not try something a little different? The following recipe for artichoke tartlets combines ham, cheese, artichokes and more to make an unusual little snack. These artichoke tartlets are a great appetizer for a dinner party and they also make nice canapés.
Artichokes are one of those ingredients that people avoid buying because they appear difficult to prepare. Actually this is not true. There are different ways to prepare them and you can grill artichokes, fry them, or bake them. In the following artichoke tartlets recipe, the artichoke is fried to soften it and that is all the preparation you need.
Fontina is the best cheese to use in the following easy tartlets recipe but you can use any other sweet milk cheese you want. The butter, milk, and egg yolks work with the Fontina to give a rich, smooth, and creamy sauce for the tartlets, which is great with the artichokes. You can use readymade tartlet cases or vol-au-vent cases for these little treats. Choose whichever size and shape you happen to like best. You could even make your own pastry but, to be honest, store-bought pastry cases work just as well so you might as well use those and save yourself some time, especially if you have other canapés or appetizers to make as well as these creamy artichoke tartlets.
- 12 vol-au-vent cases
- 8 artichokes
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 7 oz cooked ham
- 1 ½ oz butter
- 10 oz Fontina cheese or other sweet milk cheese
- Discard the hard, outer leaves from the artichokes.
- Slice them and fry them in butter for a few minutes.
- Cut the cheese into small pieces and put them in a small pan.
- Cover them with boiling water.
- Wait 1 minute, then drain the water and replace it with the milk.
- Let this cook over a low heat until the cheese melts.
- Turn off the heat and add the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Turn the heat back on and let this fondue mixture thicken.
- Fill each vol-au-vent case with layers of fondue, cooked ham and artichokes, the top layer being fondue.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until golden brown and serve them hot.
As you can see from the picture, these little artichoke tartlets are really appetizing. You can serve them on a bed of salad leaves or just by themselves on a plate. Feel free to use fresh parsley to garnish them, if you want to add more color like in the photo. These artichoke tartlets make a change from chestnut mushroom tartlets with brandy, onion tartlets, and shrimp tartlets and the artichoke gives them a unique flavor. Maybe you enjoy making sweet varieties too, like mini tartlets with chocolate or lemon blueberry tartlets but you will find these to be the perfect appetizer for your next buffet or dinner party.
One Response to Amazing Artichoke Appetizer Tartlets
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37778 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29235 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21327 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16226 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13791 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)