Warm Apple Chicken Salad Recipe
This delicious and fruity chicken salad recipe is low in sodium, fat, and calories. If you like the sound of a fruity chicken crockpot salad recipe, you will enjoy the flavor of this one. Use more or less curry powder than called for, if you want a spicier or milder flavor. It is up to you whether to serve this warm or chilled. The salad leaves will be chilled but you can serve the chicken mixture warm from the crockpot or let it cool down first. The choice is yours.
Feel free to use something other than saffron to garnish this dish. Saffron is colorful and tasty but it is also expensive, so fresh cilantro or basil would also be fine. The garnish is mainly to add some color to the appetizer.
Chicken is a versatile ingredient and its mild flavor means that it pairs just as well with sweet ingredients like fruit as it does with savory or spicy ones. When you are serving the chicken as part of a salad there are various ways to flavor it and using apples, nutmeg, and other tasty ingredients ensures your salad will have plenty of flavor.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 oz thawed apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 cored, sliced Granny Smith apples
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 1 bag mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Saffron strands, to garnish (optional)
- Salt and black pepper
- Combine the nutmeg, apple juice concentrate, and curry powder in a bowl.
- Combine the onions, garlic, and butter in a glass or plastic dish and microwave them for a couple of minutes on high or until the onion is soft.
- Transfer the mixture into a 3 or 4 quart crockpot.
- Dip each chicken breast into the apple juice mixture and then arrange them in the crockpot over the onion and garlic mixture.
- Pour the rest of the juice in as well.
- Season with salt and pepper, then cover and cook for 5 hours on low or until the chicken is nearly done.
- Add the apples and cook for another 45 minutes or until the chicken is done and the apples are soft.
- Combine the cornstarch and broth and stir this mixture into the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until the sauce is thick.
- Remove the chicken breasts and slice them, then stir them back into the apple mixture.
- Serve with salad leaves and garnish the salad with saffron strands if you like.
This mouthwatering salad combines chicken, apple and more and it makes a healthy and delicious appetizer recipe. When you cook chicken in the crockpot it comes out really juicy because none of the cooking juices evaporate in there. Served over crisp, chilled salad leaves, this warm and fruity chicken salad is sure to whet your guests’ appetites for their entrees. This dish would also be suitable fare for a buffet, since the chicken is just as good chilled as hot. If it is going to be sitting around for a while, put a tray of crushed ice underneath it.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37779 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29237 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24692 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21798 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21329 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15693 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13794 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13361 Views)