Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer
If you are looking for an appetizer that will make a stunning presentation to your guest you need look no further than this stuffed onion one. Now it uses red onions which are a bit stronger than others but that is mainly for presentation sake you could easily use the same recipe with whatever type of onion you prefer it would be equally good with say a sweet onion verity or even yellow onion but if you want to make a statement the red ones work best.
Now as you will see when you get to the photo description section I do have an optional idea you could easily add bacon cut into say 1/4 inch strips into this stuffing and it would be heavenly with the onion just make sure to cook it about 90% before adding it to the stuffing and drain it well you don’t want to make it greasy. Now this is kind of a personal thing with me I think onion and bacon are close to the perfect food pairing but I didn’t include it in the recipe as I don’t want to get a bacon rep.
Now you could easily modify this to use smaller onions for say a hors d’oeuvre instead of a meal appetizer not sure of the exact measurements so you may have stuffing left over or be slightly short but this is a forgiving recipe just maintain the ratios. Now if you are not a fan of Gruyere cheese you could substitute it for mozzarella or even a blue cheese would be nice in replacement of the parmesan if you want a bit more bite in the interior. Just remember a recipe is merely a set of starting suggestions always modify to personal preferences not everyone likes the same thing so have fun with this one.
- 8 medium red onions, whole and corred
- 1 cup white mushrooms, dicced fine
- ½ cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- ½ cup parasen cheese, shreaded
- 1 stalk celery, diced fine
- 1 egg
- splash of white wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 taplespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup french bread crumbs, fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil as needed for cooking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel the outer skin from the onions then cut about a ¼ inch of the top and hollow out the interior of the onion to create a cavity for your stuffing mix, set aside.
- Finely dice the onion innards and in a skillet sauté the onion innards in a little olive oil until translucent.
- To this add the minced garlic and cook for a few minutes, then add the diced mushrooms and brown everything lightly.
- Remove to a glass bowl.
- With a splash of white wine deglaze the pan and add this to the bowl, and add in the Worcestershire sauce and give it a mix.
- In a bowl crack the egg and beat well.
- In the bowl combine parmesan cheese, celery, egg, parsley, bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste blend until all ingredients are combined well. If too dry add a bit of the white wine.
- Take your hollowed out onions and fill them with the stuffing mix packing lightly until all onions are filled.
- Top with an ample topping of the gruyere cheese and place on a foil lined baking dish.
- Bake at 20 minutes on 350 degrees.
- Set the oven to the broil setting and allow to broil for a few minutes, until the Gruyere begins to brown and bubble slightly.
This recipe features some gourmet taste and ingredients that make for a really attractive and different appetizer recipe. We have all had stuffed mushrooms before and they are delightful but very predictable. This is a twist on that theme and uses a hollowed out red onion instead of the mushroom although it does have mushroom in it. You could also add a bit of sliced bacon to this recipe and it would be a perfect marriage no finer combination in my book then onions and bacon but you know me I love my bacon.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24678 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)