Slow Cooked Curried Thai Meatballs
These wonderful meatballs are made with ground turkey. You could use ground beef if you prefer the flavor, although turkey keeps the meatballs tasting light rather than being too heavy. The sauce is made with curry paste, lime juice and coconut milk, as well as palm sugar for sweetness. Most of the flavor is in the meatballs themselves though, since they are made with fish sauce, garlic, mirin, green onions and more. Palm sugar comes in a block and you grate off as much as you need, using a cheese grater. If it is going into a curry though, it is easier to slice it off using a small, sharp knife. You can get palm sugar from Asian grocery stores and some mainstream ones.
It is best to make the meatballs as equal in size as you can, because this means they will cook at the same rate and all be ready at the same time. The easiest way to do this is to pat the meatball mixture into an even rectangle and then slice it into columns and rows. Roll each square into a ball. This is a handy trick that you can use not only with meatball recipes but with any cookie or cake recipe when you want to make equal-sized pieces.
If you want to make meatballs as an appetizer and you have a slow cooker, this is a perfect recipe. The slow cooking process ensures the flavors will blend to perfection and the Thai spices mean this is an unusual appetizer which will be talked about for all the right reasons.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 minced green onions (green and white parts)
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons mirin or Chinese cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- 5 ½ fl oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Combine the ground turkey, garlic, green onions, fish sauce, mirin or cooking wine and sesame oil in a bowl and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over a moderately high heat and sauté the meatballs.
- Roll them around so they get browned all over. Transfer them to a 4 ½ quart crockpot.
- Pour the water into the skillet and scrape off any stuck-on bits.
- Pour these juices into the crockpot.
- Add the sugar, curry paste, and coconut milk.
- Cover the crockpot and cook for 4 hours on high or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
This delicious Thai appetizer recipe smells amazing, which is usual with Thai recipes because many of the ingredients in this cuisine are fragrant and aromatic. If you like meatballs, you will love the exotic Asian flavor of these and the sauce keeps them moist and tasty. The cilantro adds a touch of color to this recipe, although if you prefer to use sliced green onions, you could use those instead. This Thai meatballs recipe is unusual and flavorful and making it in the crockpot means you are free to get on with other things while this easy crockpot recipe cooks itself.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37405 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (28794 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24418 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21621 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (20968 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (15943 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15477 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (14977 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13401 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (12927 Views)