Slow Cooked Curried Thai Meatballs
These wonderful meatballs are made with ground turkey. You could use ground beef if you prefer the flavor, although turkey keeps the meatballs tasting light rather than being too heavy. The sauce is made with curry paste, lime juice and coconut milk, as well as palm sugar for sweetness. Most of the flavor is in the meatballs themselves though, since they are made with fish sauce, garlic, mirin, green onions and more. Palm sugar comes in a block and you grate off as much as you need, using a cheese grater. If it is going into a curry though, it is easier to slice it off using a small, sharp knife. You can get palm sugar from Asian grocery stores and some mainstream ones.
It is best to make the meatballs as equal in size as you can, because this means they will cook at the same rate and all be ready at the same time. The easiest way to do this is to pat the meatball mixture into an even rectangle and then slice it into columns and rows. Roll each square into a ball. This is a handy trick that you can use not only with meatball recipes but with any cookie or cake recipe when you want to make equal-sized pieces.
If you want to make meatballs as an appetizer and you have a slow cooker, this is a perfect recipe. The slow cooking process ensures the flavors will blend to perfection and the Thai spices mean this is an unusual appetizer which will be talked about for all the right reasons.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 minced green onions (green and white parts)
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons mirin or Chinese cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- 5 ½ fl oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Combine the ground turkey, garlic, green onions, fish sauce, mirin or cooking wine and sesame oil in a bowl and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over a moderately high heat and sauté the meatballs.
- Roll them around so they get browned all over. Transfer them to a 4 ½ quart crockpot.
- Pour the water into the skillet and scrape off any stuck-on bits.
- Pour these juices into the crockpot.
- Add the sugar, curry paste, and coconut milk.
- Cover the crockpot and cook for 4 hours on high or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
This delicious Thai appetizer recipe smells amazing, which is usual with Thai recipes because many of the ingredients in this cuisine are fragrant and aromatic. If you like meatballs, you will love the exotic Asian flavor of these and the sauce keeps them moist and tasty. The cilantro adds a touch of color to this recipe, although if you prefer to use sliced green onions, you could use those instead. This Thai meatballs recipe is unusual and flavorful and making it in the crockpot means you are free to get on with other things while this easy crockpot recipe cooks itself.
Leave a Reply
- Best Superbowl Chili Recipe December 7, 2014
- Spicy BBQ Quesadilla Holiday Appetizer November 23, 2014
- Bacon and Cheese Appetizer Rolls November 22, 2014
- Balsamic Asparagus and Parmesan Appetizer November 20, 2014
- Refreshing Pear and Prosciutto Appetizer November 1, 2014
- Delicate Mini Smoked Salmon and Caviar Appetizer August 26, 2014
- Crispy Vegetable Spring Rolls August 24, 2014
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (19352 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (18687 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (16332 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (14638 Views)
- Home (13485 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (12155 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (11989 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (11183 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (10910 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (9519 Views)
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe (9380 Views)
- Smoked Salmon and Caper Canapés (8824 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (8803 Views)
- Grape Jelly Meatball Sauce Recipe (8433 Views)
- Shrimp Spring Rolls (7918 Views)