Potato-Based Hot Appetizer Recipes
This is one of the nicest hot appetizer recipes. The combination of potatoes, cream cheese, prosciutto, and cress is an interesting one and the flavors are wonderful together. The potatoes are cooked in a rosemary, parmesan, and mustard coating, then they are decorated with the cream cheese while still warm, so it melts a little bit over them. The prosciutto and cress makes this one of the best looking fancy appetizer recipes and this is a very impressive dish.
You can use any kind of potatoes you like. It is best to use small or medium sized ones, so you end up with bite-sized pieces. Also, smaller slices cook faster. You might just want to use slices from the middles of the potatoes and save the rounded top and bottom pieces for another use.
The cream cheese, prosciutto and cress is a simple garnish but one that works nicely. The potatoes are crusted with the garlic and rosemary mixture so they have plenty of flavor. The cool cream cheese adds a nice element and the prosciutto goes well too. The cress adds color and an interesting texture. If you want to serve hot appetizer recipes, this is a wonderful recipe for you to try.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 egg white, beaten until foamy
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups sourdough bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 package prosciutto
- Cress, to garnish
- Cook the unpeeled potatoes whole in a big pan of salted boiling water for 20 minutes or until they are just tender when you pierce them with a knife. Drain off the water, then let them cool in the refrigerator until they are cold.
- You can leave them for up to a day if you want make ahead appetizers.
- Peel them, and then cut them into ½ inch thick pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spread half the olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in a skillet, and then add the garlic and minced rosemary.
- Cover the skillet and cook until the garlic is soft but not brown.
- This should take about a minute and a half.
- Stir in the mustard, salt, and pepper and take the mixture off the heat. Add the breadcrumbs and stir in the parmesan.
- Arrange the potato slices on a cutting board and brush the egg white on top.
- Spread some of the crumb mixture on to each piece and press it well into the potato pieces.
- Put the slices on the baking sheet, coated side down, and then brush the uncoated sides with the rest of the egg white.
- Spread the rest of the crumb mixture on them and bake for 8 minutes or until the coating on the bottom is crusty.
- Flip the potato slices over, and then brown the other side for another 6 minutes or so.
- Transfer the potatoes to a platter.
- Top each one with some of the softened cream cheese and decorate the potatoes with prosciutto and cress.
This is an impressive looking dish, from the colorful prosciutto and cress garnish right down to the crusted potatoes. This is one of the most delicious hot appetizer recipes there is and it is not difficult to make. If you are thinking of doing make ahead appetizers the potatoes for this recipe can be cooked the day before you make it if that is helpful. If you do not have cress, you can use chopped cilantro or parsley for a garnish instead because either of those flavors would go well. Likewise, the prosciutto can be replaced with bacon or another kind of ham.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37773 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21795 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21321 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16208 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15687 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15156 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)