Poppers with Steak and Potatoes
These wonderfully rich and tasty steak and potato poppers might call for more ingredients than some of our other easy party appetizers but if you are a fan of steak and potato, they are well worth making.
The beer, mushrooms, and thyme offer a luxurious and earthy flavor and go beautifully with the steak and potatoes. These potato poppers, or mini pies, are delicious served hot and even though they might not be the quickest appetizer to make they are worth the effort because everyone is sure to love them. Using prepared pie crust does save you a bit of time though.
If you like the idea of little pasties, pies or empanadas, stuffing these rings of dough with meat, potatoes, onions and more means you can make delicious little parcels, which everybody will enjoy. “Poppers” is a very apt term for these because your guests can simply pop the tasty little morsels into their mouths and enjoy the juicy filling. These poppers with steak and potatoes need to bake for twenty five minutes, so you can use that time to get on with the finishing touches for other appetizers you are making. Your guests will smell these wonderful steak poppers cooking though.
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 packages prepared pie crust
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 ½ cups onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups cooked potatoes
- 1 ½ cups cooked steak
- Chop the mushrooms, onion, steak, and potatoes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Sauté the onions until slightly soft, then add the mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the salt, pepper, and thyme and stir.
- Add the potatoes and steak, then the beer and Worcestershire sauce.
- Turn the temperature up to high and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- This will take about 5 minutes and you will need to keep stirring it.
- Let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes, then preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray non stick cooking spray on a cookie sheet.
- Put the pie crust on a floured cutting board and cut circles out of it, using a round cookie cutter.
- Put the pie crust on the cooking spray coated cookie sheet and do the same with the other pie crust.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the steak and potatoes mixture in the middle of each dough circle, then fold the dough over and push the edges together with a floury fork to seal them.
- Use the fork to make vent holes in the top of each steak and potatoes mini pie.
- Mix together the water, egg, and brush this over the tops of the closed pasty circles.
- Bake until they are a light golden color.
- This will take about 25 minutes.
These little pies are sure to look and smell delicious, and people will have a real surprise when they bite into the steak poppers to find such a delicious filling. Anything which sounds quite heavy, like this recipe, can be made lighter by making the portions smaller, and these poppers are the perfect size to make a lovely snack which is not going to fill anyone up too much to enjoy the main dish afterwards. The earthy flavors of the meat and mushrooms are complemented by the rich beer and Worcestershire sauce flavors, and the potatoes add bulk to these lovely little morsels.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37802 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29294 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24733 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21820 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21390 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16262 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15725 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15184 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13850 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13405 Views)