Meat Feast Calzone Appetizers
Calzone is an Italian dish and it is usually served whole. Calzone is made with a dough crust and any kind of filling you like. For this appetizer recipe, the calzone is served in slices. You can serve these whole if you want to. If you serve them in slices, you will need to give your guests a fork because the filling does tend to fall out.
These delicious calzone appetizers are filled with a mouthwatering combination of ground beef, pepperoni, cheese, onion, garlic and more. Red wine adds richness. Use lean ground beef if you can get it because the fat is all drained off anyway, before the filling is used. If you do not drain it well enough, the calzone will end up being soggy.
There are lots of different fillings you can use if you want to make calzone recipes for Superbowl party appetizers or for a buffet or other occasion. You can use tuna, cheese, grilled vegetables, pork, chicken, or anything else. If you compare calzone to pizza, and the two are actually very similar because a calzone is like a rolled up type of pizza, you can fill a calzone with anything you would consider to be a pizza topping.
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 3 ½ oz pepperoni slices, cut in half
- ½ lb ground beef
- 4 oz mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cans refrigerated pizza crusts, 10 oz each
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the onion, garlic and ground beef together in a big pan, stirring to crumble the beef. Drain off the fat.
- Stir in the wine, basil, salt, pepper and tomato paste and keep cooking mixture until it is thick, stirring often.
- This will take about 5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the mozzarella, parmesan, and pepperoni.
- Stir the milk and egg together well.
- Unroll the pizza crusts and cut each one into 4 squares.
- Divide the hot meat mixture between each square, leaving an inch border around the edge.
- Brush the milk and egg mixture on the borders, and then fold each square in half diagonally.
- Press the edges together to seal them.
- Put the calzones on lightly greased baking sheets and brush the rest of the egg and milk mixture over the top.
- Bake until lightly browned.
- This will take about 15 minutes.
- Cut each calzones into 4 slices and serve hot.
This mouthwatering calzone is sure to be a hit at any party or event. If you are looking for unusual recipes for a Superbowl party, what about making this delicious calzone recipe and serving your guests a wonderful taste of Italy? Calzone is one of our most easy party recipes if you are looking for something hot and filling. You can also make the calzones whole, without slicing them up, and serve them with vegetables and French fries, to make a more substantial meal. Slicing them up makes them appetizer-sized and also allows your guests a tantalizing glimpse of the delicious filling.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37802 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29294 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24733 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21820 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21390 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16262 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15725 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15184 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13850 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13405 Views)