How to Make Mince Pies
Mince pies are so easy to make and holiday appetizer recipes like this one are ideal for thanksgiving or Christmas. You can make regular sized ones or “petit fours” sized minced pies using a canapé-sized muffin tin with smaller holes. These British style festive sweet pastries are filled with mincemeat, which is an apple, spice and dried fruit preserve, and encased in delicious pastry. You can use white sugar in this recipe if you can’t find golden sugar.
So, what is the history of mince pies? Actually they date back to the Middle Ages and originally contained ground meat along with spices and fruit to add flavor and preserve the meat. King Henry V was given a mince pie in 1413 at his coronation and they used to be known as wayfarer pies because their small size meant they made a good appetizer recipe for guests. Modern mince pies do not contain ground meat but they do contain suet so they are not suitable for vegetarians.
Serve mince pies with a glass of champagne or fruit punch or arrange them on a serving platter at a buffet. If you are looking for holiday appetizer recipes which are sweet, traditional and simple to make, you might like to make mince pies. You can even use pie filling instead of the mincemeat to make your own version of this delicious appetizer recipe.
- 8 oz butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 10 oz mincemeat
- 3 ½ oz golden sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 ½ oz plain flour
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Make sure the butter is very cold.
- Chop it into pieces then rub it into the flour with your fingers.
- Add the sugar and salt and form the pastry into a ball without adding liquid.
- Knead it for a couple of minutes.
- You can use the dough now or chill it for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F.
- Divide the pastry into 36 pieces and press 18 of the pieces into the holes of a patty or muffin tin.
- You will need 2 tins.
- Spoon the mincemeat into the pastry and use the remaining pastry pieces to make lids.
- Press the edges together to seal them.
- You won't need egg or milk to make them seal.
- You can cook the pies now or freeze them for up to a month.
- Brush the beaten egg over the tops of the mince pies and bake them for 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Let them cool in the tins for 5 minutes and then on a wire rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- You can store them for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Serve with whipped cream, brandy butter or by themselves.
Homemade mince pies are much nicer than store-bought ones. You can see from the photo that these are homemade. The golden pastry encases delicious mincemeat and these are wonderful warm or cold. Traditionally, you can serve brandy butter or cream with them, and then people can open the lids, add some brandy butter or cream and close them again to eat. These are a real festive treat and it is almost impossible to only have one of these delicious mince pies because they are so good! Holiday appetizer recipes can be sweet or savory and these sweet treats would be a welcome addition to any buffet table or dinner party.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37779 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29236 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21328 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15693 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13794 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)