Hot Mexican Appetizers with Salsa and Cheese
If you are looking for Mexican appetizer recipes, what about making these delicious Mexican appetizers? These little snacks are known as “picaditas” in Mexico, which means “little pinched ones.” These are masa shells, which are filled with a delicious bacon, cheese, and salsa mixture. A cooked salsa is better for these picaditas than a raw one, so this recipe includes instructions for making salsa verde. You will have a cup of this salsa left over after making the Mexican appetizers so you can store it in the refrigerator for another use.
These picaditas are similar to tortillas but on a smaller scale. They are pinched as they cook, to give them a lip, so the filling can be contained without leaking out. Other names for picaditas include memelitas, gorditas, sopes, and guaraches. You can get masa from a Mexican grocer. You can also get a comal from there. A comal is a big, heavy, cast iron cooking plate and you can cook meat, fish or vegetables on it. Comals are handy for all kinds of Mexican appetizer recipes and especially for making these easy Mexican appetizers.
The refried beans make a nice dip for this Mexican appetizer recipes. Refried beans are usually made from pinto beans but you can also use red beans or black beans. Since the beans need to be soaked overnight, mashed to a paste and cooked, it is far simpler to use canned refried beans to serve as an accompaniment to easy Mexican appetizer recipes like this one.
- 1 lb masa (tortilla dough)
- 1 lb queso fresco (crumbly Mexican cheese)
- 1 can refried beans
- ⅔ lb bacon
- 1 lb crema rancherito
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 ½ lbs fresh green tomatillos
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro ½ onion
- Take the outer husks off the tomatillos.
- Roast the jalapenos, tomatillos, and onion on a Mexican comal, which is a big cast iron pan.
- If you do not have, one you can roast them in a 350 degrees F oven.
- Put the garlic, water, salt, and cilantro in a blender with the cooked tomatillos, onion, and jalapenos and blend well.
- You might need to add some more water and adjust the salt.
- This mixture is the salsa verde. Fry the bacon and crumble it, keeping the grease in the pan.
- Divide the masa into 12 portions and shape each one into a 5 inch wide round.
- Cook them on the comal for a few minutes until they become dry.
- Turn them over and cook the other side.
- Again, use a warm oven if you do not have a comal.
- Pinch the edges of the picaditas while you cook the second side, to form a lip.
- Spoon a teaspoon of bacon grease over the top of each one and add some of the bacon and queso fresco.
- Top with the salsa verde and queso fresco.
- Warm up the refried beans and sprinkle some queso fresco over the top.
- Serve hot.
These nice looking Mexican appetizers are simple to make and if you love Mexican flavors you will adore these. Flavored with Mexican cheese, salsa verde, bacon and more, these little treats are just the right size for easy party appetizers and the refried beans dip is delicious. These picaditas are served as a breakfast or snack in Mexico but if you want holiday appetizer recipes, they are also perfect for that. These would be great as a Cinco de Mayo appetizer recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13786 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)