Greek Feta and Spinach Filo Pastry Appetizers
This wonderful Greek recipe combines pungent garlic, toasty pine nuts, and salty feta cheese in buttery filo layers. These little pasty treats freeze well so you can make a big batch of them. The spinach and feta in a pastry crust is teamed with garlic, scallions, lemon juice and pine nuts for a melt in the mouth appetizer, which is sure to be a hit at your party.
You can make these easy party appetizers quickly if you use frozen filo pastry, which is also spelled phyllo pastry. Spinach and feta go together beautifully and your guests will be sure to adore these. You can serve the feta and spinach filo pastry appetizers alone or with some salad. This is an authentic Greek appetizer recipe and the taste is indescribably good.
Greek food is always popular at buffets, partly because it is so tasty and partly because Greek appetizers are traditionally served at room temperature and you do not have to worry about keeping them warm or keeping them chilled. This includes Greek dip recipes like taramasalata, hummus and more, Greek salad and other Greek recipes like this one. You can serve these feta and spinach filo pastry appetizers hot, warm or at room temperature.
- 2 lbs fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 scallions
- ½ pack filo sheets
- 4 oz feta
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 egg
- ½ stick butter
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Thaw the pastry sheets.
- Rinse and sauté the spinach until it wilts.
- Let it cool, then squeeze out any excess water and finely chop it.
- Toast the pine nuts in a non stick pan for several minutes, and then crumble the cheese.
- Chop the scallions lengthwise and sauté them with the pine nuts and garlic. Use a food processor or hand blender to mix the feta, scallion, garlic, and nuts. Add the egg, salt, pepper, and spinach.
- Stir in the lemon juice. Cut the filo sheets into 3 even strips lengthwise and brush butter between each strip.
- Divide the filling between the pastry strips, then fold up, trimming any excess off.
- Bake for 25 minutes in an ungreased non stick pan.
This spinach and feta in a pastry crust recipe is just the right size for appetizers. Your guests can pick them up easily and dip them or just eat them as they are. These delicious looking feta and spinach filo pastry appetizers are great at any kind of party or dinner and they are nice before any main course. They are also vegetarian so they go before a fish, meat, or poultry course, as well as before a vegetarian one. You might like to serve some lemon wedges on the side. Some people will want to add some extra lemon juice to these Greek appetizers.
Leave a Reply
- Delicate Mini Smoked Salmon and Caviar Appetizer August 26, 2014
- Crispy Vegetable Spring Rolls August 24, 2014
- Spicy Crockpot Queso Dip August 18, 2014
- Crayfish and Salmon Terrine August 16, 2014
- All is Good Again March 8, 2014
- Our Wow’s with Rich Pins March 6, 2014
- Eggs Stuffed with Tuna Appetizer Recipe December 21, 2013
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (19201 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (18372 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (15367 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (14114 Views)
- Home (13152 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (11908 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (11749 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (11017 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (10414 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (9328 Views)
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe (9078 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (8624 Views)
- Smoked Salmon and Caper Canapés (8452 Views)
- Grape Jelly Meatball Sauce Recipe (8276 Views)
- Simple Yet Elegant Beef Tenderloin Appetizers (7628 Views)