Greek Feta and Spinach Filo Pastry Appetizers
This wonderful Greek recipe combines pungent garlic, toasty pine nuts, and salty feta cheese in buttery filo layers. These little pasty treats freeze well so you can make a big batch of them. The spinach and feta in a pastry crust is teamed with garlic, scallions, lemon juice and pine nuts for a melt in the mouth appetizer, which is sure to be a hit at your party.
You can make these easy party appetizers quickly if you use frozen filo pastry, which is also spelled phyllo pastry. Spinach and feta go together beautifully and your guests will be sure to adore these. You can serve the feta and spinach filo pastry appetizers alone or with some salad. This is an authentic Greek appetizer recipe and the taste is indescribably good.
Greek food is always popular at buffets, partly because it is so tasty and partly because Greek appetizers are traditionally served at room temperature and you do not have to worry about keeping them warm or keeping them chilled. This includes Greek dip recipes like taramasalata, hummus and more, Greek salad and other Greek recipes like this one. You can serve these feta and spinach filo pastry appetizers hot, warm or at room temperature.
- 2 lbs fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 scallions
- ½ pack filo sheets
- 4 oz feta
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 egg
- ½ stick butter
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Thaw the pastry sheets.
- Rinse and sauté the spinach until it wilts.
- Let it cool, then squeeze out any excess water and finely chop it.
- Toast the pine nuts in a non stick pan for several minutes, and then crumble the cheese.
- Chop the scallions lengthwise and sauté them with the pine nuts and garlic. Use a food processor or hand blender to mix the feta, scallion, garlic, and nuts. Add the egg, salt, pepper, and spinach.
- Stir in the lemon juice. Cut the filo sheets into 3 even strips lengthwise and brush butter between each strip.
- Divide the filling between the pastry strips, then fold up, trimming any excess off.
- Bake for 25 minutes in an ungreased non stick pan.
This spinach and feta in a pastry crust recipe is just the right size for appetizers. Your guests can pick them up easily and dip them or just eat them as they are. These delicious looking feta and spinach filo pastry appetizers are great at any kind of party or dinner and they are nice before any main course. They are also vegetarian so they go before a fish, meat, or poultry course, as well as before a vegetarian one. You might like to serve some lemon wedges on the side. Some people will want to add some extra lemon juice to these Greek appetizers.
Leave a Reply
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Salmon Roe and Sour Cream January 21, 2016
- Anchovy and Dill Canapes January 19, 2016
- Spanish Seafood Stuffed Egg Appetizers January 14, 2016
- Lamb Chops with Cucumber Slaw January 11, 2016
- Seared Scallops over Rice Timbales January 8, 2016
- Pork Potstickers with Soy-Chili Dipping Sauce January 5, 2016
- Feta Cheese and Tomato Deviled Eggs January 2, 2016
- Healthy Ratatouille Stuffed Peppers December 29, 2015
- Palate-Cleansing Citrus Sorbet Appetizers December 26, 2015
- Easy Shrimp and Cottage Cheese Canapes December 23, 2015
- Home (36575 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (27670 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (23745 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21135 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (20101 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (15337 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (14933 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (14452 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (12389 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (11900 Views)