Greek Feta and Spinach Filo Pastry Appetizers
This wonderful Greek recipe combines pungent garlic, toasty pine nuts, and salty feta cheese in buttery filo layers. These little pasty treats freeze well so you can make a big batch of them. The spinach and feta in a pastry crust is teamed with garlic, scallions, lemon juice and pine nuts for a melt in the mouth appetizer, which is sure to be a hit at your party.
You can make these easy party appetizers quickly if you use frozen filo pastry, which is also spelled phyllo pastry. Spinach and feta go together beautifully and your guests will be sure to adore these. You can serve the feta and spinach filo pastry appetizers alone or with some salad. This is an authentic Greek appetizer recipe and the taste is indescribably good.
Greek food is always popular at buffets, partly because it is so tasty and partly because Greek appetizers are traditionally served at room temperature and you do not have to worry about keeping them warm or keeping them chilled. This includes Greek dip recipes like taramasalata, hummus and more, Greek salad and other Greek recipes like this one. You can serve these feta and spinach filo pastry appetizers hot, warm or at room temperature.
- 2 lbs fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 scallions
- ½ pack filo sheets
- 4 oz feta
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 egg
- ½ stick butter
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Thaw the pastry sheets.
- Rinse and sauté the spinach until it wilts.
- Let it cool, then squeeze out any excess water and finely chop it.
- Toast the pine nuts in a non stick pan for several minutes, and then crumble the cheese.
- Chop the scallions lengthwise and sauté them with the pine nuts and garlic. Use a food processor or hand blender to mix the feta, scallion, garlic, and nuts. Add the egg, salt, pepper, and spinach.
- Stir in the lemon juice. Cut the filo sheets into 3 even strips lengthwise and brush butter between each strip.
- Divide the filling between the pastry strips, then fold up, trimming any excess off.
- Bake for 25 minutes in an ungreased non stick pan.
This spinach and feta in a pastry crust recipe is just the right size for appetizers. Your guests can pick them up easily and dip them or just eat them as they are. These delicious looking feta and spinach filo pastry appetizers are great at any kind of party or dinner and they are nice before any main course. They are also vegetarian so they go before a fish, meat, or poultry course, as well as before a vegetarian one. You might like to serve some lemon wedges on the side. Some people will want to add some extra lemon juice to these Greek appetizers.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37147 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (28100 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24083 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21398 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (20441 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (15649 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15230 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (14744 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (12924 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (12281 Views)