Easy BLT Appetizer
These bacon-wrapped cherry tomatoes are colorful and delicious. They smell wonderful and they are so simple to make. If you have an indoor grill you can make these in the Japanese way. “Robotayaki” is the Japanese word for grilling skewered foods on a grill. Japanese fishermen used to do this many centuries ago, grilling their freshly caught fish on the boat, then passing it to other fishing boats on their wooden oars. Robata grills are very popular in Japanese restaurants these days. Diners select their food and the chef, standing behind a horseshoe-shaped charcoal grill, cooks it for them. The food is turned by hand, rather than with tongs.
Some foods cooked in this way have a teriyaki glaze to make them look glossy. You can make a glaze by mixing equal parts of Japanese rice wine, or mirin, with soy sauce, and adding a little cornstarch to thicken it. The following recipe for a BLT appetizer combines bacon, lettuce, and tomato with a little nanami togarashi (Japanese chili pepper mix). You can leave off the chili pepper mix if you want. Perhaps you have tried a stuffed tomato BLT appetizers recipe before or maybe you have only had BLT sandwiches. In either case, you will enjoy this robotayaki appetizer recipe very much. The flavors are very simple but bacon, lettuce and tomato are a wonderful combination, hence the popularity of BLT.
These are very easy party appetizers and if you are grilling outdoors you can cook these outside. The grill should be low, else the bacon will burn. A charcoal grill is traditionally used for robotayaki recipes so perhaps have a cooler area with less charcoal banked underneath it and a hotter area for cooking other foods, or make these appetizers before you heat up the grill more for the burgers, sausages and whatever else you are making. If you are using a gas grill or electric indoor grill you can set the temperature to low or medium low. This is one of our easiest hot holiday appetizer recipes.
- 12 oz bacon
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes
- Nanami togarashi, or Japanese chili pepper mix (optional)
- Lettuce, to serve
- Soak the toothpicks in water for 2 hours.
- Cut the bacon strips in half, across the centre.
- Put the cherry tomato at the end of the strip of bacon and wrap it around, using a toothpick to hold it together.
- Sprinkle over some nanami togarashi (you can find this in Asian food stores) if you want to use it.
- Grill over a moderate to low heat until the bacon is crisp and golden brown.
- Serve hot on a bed of lettuce.
This delicious BLT appetizer is so easy to make. You can see in the background a tray of dips and you can serve dip recipes with these bacon-wrapped tomatoes or serve them by themselves. The choice is yours. In the dip tray is a chili dip, a horseradish dip and a soy sauce and wasabi dip. Any Asian style dips would be great with this recipe. Bacon is a very popular ingredient for making easy party appetizers. It goes well with many other ingredients and there is something about the smell of bacon, which makes people, salivate in anticipation!
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21324 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13788 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)