Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce
Seems in America we’ll deep fry just about anything, I mean we do it to almost every imaginable thing from broccoli and cauliflower to Oreos. It seems no food is sacred when it comes to being tossed into the fry and offered up like a sacrifice to the fry god’s, like some sort of ancient volcano. I mean we fry snickers and even turkeys and almost no food is safe from someone trying to deep fry it at one point in time or another.
Well I am going to be just as guilty as every other recipe guru out there and I make my sacrifice in the form of that perennial kid’s favorite mac and cheese and not just that stuff in the box but good homemade mac and cheese. Even if you have no interest in throwing it into a fryer you may want to check out the first part of the recipe where I give you a recipe for homemade mac and cheese that will make you forget the boxed stuff for ever and it really is no harder to make so making the boxed (yuck) stuff I mean will hopefully become a thing of the past.
I mean really powdered cheese what cow does that come from? Exactly! So when you find out how easy real mac and cheese is to make you can at least forget that and stop before violating some fryer ritual. But if you have kids and if you are brave enough go ahead and try these just once they really are so good even if you will not want to admit to liking them in fear of offending some food critics. See there is a reason we deep fry anything and everything it is so darn good tasting just don’t do it right before a doctor’s appointment, he’ll end up putting you on some sort of pills. lol.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 stick butter, unsalted
- ½ cup light cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup American cheese, cubed
- Salt for water
- Few drops canola oil
- 2 tablespoons milk for egg wash
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Peanut oil, for frying
- ½ cup Ken's Steak House Cocktail Sauce
- ½ cup tomato sauce (not pasta sauce)
- 1 tablespoon Atomic Horseradish
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Prepare the elbows according to the package and then drain in a colander and use the saucepan to make the cheese sauce. Adding a few drops of oil to the water will help prevent sticking.
- Add the butter to the saucepan and allow it to melt when melted add the three cheeses and allow to mostly melt stirring continually, then with a wooden spoon stir in the cream this will be liquidy right now, add the elbows at this point and over a medium heat continually stir until the cheese sauce thickens and almost all of the liquid has evaporated off.
- Place the prepared mac and cheese on a bar pan and place in the refrigerator until it is chilled about two hours or so.
- P.S. This is a good recipe for mac and cheese for anytime.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator and shape prepared pasta into Swedish meatball size balls
- Place waxed paper on a bar pan and place the prepared mac and cheese bites on it and place in the freezer overnight.
- Next day take and whisk the egg with the milk and place in a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl place the panko breadcrumbs.
- Take the frozen balls out of the freezer.
- One at a time dip them in the egg mixture and then dredge through the breadcrumbs.
- Return to the tray they were on in the freezer and return to the freezer until ready for use.
- In a deep fryer fill it with peanut oil according to the manufactures directions and preheat this to 375 degrees F.
- Remove only what you will fry per batch at a time from the freezer (leave the others in until ready for them) and carefully place small batches into your fryer and cook until center is heated and they become golden brown. Approximately five minutes.
- Serve hot with the dipping sauce or any of the following are also good Alfredo sauce, favorite marinara sauce or maybe all three in separate bowls for dipping.
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and whisk together until bubbling reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook for five minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to adjust the seasoning to taste then either keep on low and serve warm or refrigerate and serve child personal preference either way is good.
- Dip hot appetizers in sauce and enjoy.
I know some of the adults will turn their nose up at this going mac and cheese bites, but I know the kids will be on board with this. This is such a childish sounding appetizer but I bet there are adults out there that will sneak them when no one is watching and will not admit to being in the closet on this one. It is ok to like them I mean mac and cheese is a true comfort food and my homemade mac and cheese is not that stuff from the box anyways, and deep frying anything seems to be love for almost any American.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37778 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29235 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21325 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16225 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13791 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)