Crunchy Homemade Onion Rings
Homemade onion rings make a great Superbowl food recipe and they go perfectly with other Superbowl favorites, like spareribs and chicken wings. Onion rings are really easy to make, the following recipe uses cornflakes and breadcrumbs, as well as cayenne pepper, egg, and more, to give the onion rings a wonderful flavor and a crispy texture. Serve them with ketchup, mayonnaise or a variety of dip recipes for dunking. Sweet and sour sauce is nice too, especially if you make these onion rings with sweet onions.
You can either bake or deep fry onion rings and in this recipe for onion rings they are baked. Baked onion rings are just as juicy and delicious as deep fried ones and, of course, they are healthier too. You can use grape seed oil instead of canola oil for these onion rings if you like. You could use olive oil but it tends to have a lower smoking point and the oven is quite hot, so it is best to use one of the others.
These excellent Superbowl appetizers are just as popular with kids as adults and you might like to serve some potato wedges or French fries with these delicious onion rings. Keep an eye on them towards the end of the cooking time. They should be golden brown and crispy but not too brown. Use any kind of onion you want but sweet onions give especially good results.
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups cornflakes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk
- ½ cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Quarter the onion crosswise and separate it into rings.
- Discard the very small rings or save them for another recipe.
- Pulse the breadcrumbs with the cornflakes in a food processor until they resemble fine crumbs, and then pour this mixture into a bowl.
- Whisk the buttermilk, egg, cayenne pepper, flour, salt, and pepper in another bowl.
- Dip the onion rings in the egg and buttermilk mixture and let the excess drip off.
- Then dip them in the breadcrumbs mixture. Pour the oil on to a baking sheet and heat it in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven, tilting it until it is covered in oil, then arrange the onion rings on it.
- Bake them, turning them halfway through the cooking time, for 16 minutes or until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Season with salt and serve hot.
These delicious, crunchy onion rings are covered in a cornflake and breadcrumb mixture, which tastes great and is also, what makes them so crispy. There are various batter and breadcrumb recipes for making onion rings but this recipe is especially easy and really flavorful. Use a sweet onion such as Vidalia to make these juicy onion rings and serve them with some dip recipes. Hot onion rings make great Superbowl party appetizers and homemade onion rings are the very best. You can see from the photo just how appetizing and delicious these onion rings look.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37773 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16208 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15687 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15158 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)