Crispy Vegetable Spring Rolls
This recipe is really good if you want to make hot appetizers. Spring rolls are similar to egg rolls, although spring rolls wrappers are much thinner than egg roll wrappers because they are made of rice paper instead of dough. Egg rolls are believed to be Chinese in origin and spring rolls are thought to have started out in Thailand or Vietnam. If you serve them raw they are called summer rolls, but deep-fry them and they become spring rolls.
The following recipe is vegetarian and it features yummy ingredients like carrot, bell pepper and white cabbage, as well as soy sauce, oyster sauce and a couple of basic seasonings for an authentic Asian taste. Spring rolls are available from the grocery store, readymade and in a frozen form but homemade ones have a much better, fresher flavor, so you might wish to make these as an appetizer for your next dinner party, or even as a snack for your family.
Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, perhaps some soy sauce or sweet and sour sauce, and serve them piping hot too, for the best results. These really are delicious and worth the effort.
- ½ thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 6 thinly sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 grated carrot
- Small handful bean sprouts
- ¼ shredded white cabbage
- Small handful rice noodles, soaked in water
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 pints plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 beaten egg
- 10 spring roll wrappers
- Heat a wok over a hot flame, then add 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté the carrots, bamboo shoots, bell pepper, bean sprouts and cabbage.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the ingredients are tender.
- Stir in the noodles, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, soy sauce and black pepper.
- Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Brush the 4 edges of the spring roll wrappers with the beaten egg.
- Add the filling in a long, thin shape. Leave a ¾ inch border all around.
- Lift the wrapper over the top and tuck it underneath the filling.
- Fold over the left side and then the right side.
- Roll the spring rolls up to form tubes.
- Brush more egg along the top and seal.
- Heat the remaining oil in a deep pan and fry the spring rolls for 1 or 2 minutes, or until they are light brown and crispy.
- Drain them on paper towels.
- Cut the 10 hot spring rolls in half diagonally to serve, so the filling is exposed, and serve 2 halves to each person while still hot.
Spring rolls are really appealing. They smell good and taste even better. For the best presentation, serve them with some salad leaves, tomatoes, cucumber and perhaps half an apple or orange, like in the picture. Since the spring rolls are best served hot, prepare the salad platter in advance so you just have to add the spring rolls and it is ready to serve. If you are a fan of Asian flavors, you will really like the flavor of these. The crispy, golden brown exterior hides a fantastically flavored filling which enriched with oyster sauce, soy sauce and lovely vegetables.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24678 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)