Christmas Pigs in Blankets and Chestnut Stuffing Balls
Serve these pigs in blankets and Christmas stuffing balls together, perhaps with cranberry sauce on the side for dipping. Mayonnaise mixed with mustard would also make a tasty dip for these holiday appetizer recipes. The pigs in blankets are simply sausages wrapped in bacon. First they are fried to crisp them up, and then they are baked. If you wanted to make mini pigs in blankets you could cut the sausages and bacon in half and make double the amount. Pigs in blankets in the UK refers to bacon-wrapped sausage. In the United States the bacon is often replaced with bread.
The stuffing balls are full of flavor. If you want to prepare make ahead appetizers, you can make them as per the recipe, then just before drizzling over the oil, transfer them to a sealable container. Chill them for up to two days. You can also freeze the mixture (without the egg) for up to a month. To use them, just thaw them the day before at room temperature, and then add the egg to the mixture.
The chestnut stuffing recipe and pigs in blankets recipe pair really well, or you could just make one of these holiday appetizer recipes. If you are looking for traditional Christmas appetizer recipes, these are really wonderful to make. If you want to stuff a turkey with stuffing, this mixture makes enough to stuff a twelve pound turkey plus make an additional twelve stuffing balls.
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 beaten egg
- 7 oz chopped dried figs
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 diced celery sticks
- 5 oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ oz butter
- Finely grated zest of a lemon
- 7 oz chopped chestnuts
- 1 sprig thyme leaves
- 1 lb pork sausages
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 12 chipolata sausages
- 12 strips bacon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the skins from the pork sausages.
- Fry the celery and onion in the butter for 10 minutes, then let this mixture cool.
- Add the rest of the stuffing ingredients except the olive oil.
- Combine well and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 24 pieces and roll them into balls.
- Put these stuffing balls on a greased, rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle them with olive oil and cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- For the pigs in blankets, roll each strip of bacon around a sausage.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and fry them until they are browned all over.
- Arrange the pigs in blankets on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake the stuffing balls for 20 minutes, and then remove the foil.
- Bake the stuffing balls and pigs in blankets together for 10 minutes or until they are golden brown and very hot.
- Arrange everything together on a serving platter and garnish with fresh parsley.
Both these holiday appetizer recipes look so mouthwatering your guests won’t know which to try first – the juicy pigs in blankets or the delicious chestnut stuffing recipe. These easy party appetizers are ideal for a Christmas party and you can bake them together, which means they are make ahead appetizers and you simply pop them in the oven twenty minutes before you want them. You will love the rich flavors in the chestnut stuffing recipe and the simple meaty taste of the hot pigs in blankets recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)