Asian Fried Fish Balls Kabobs
If you are looking for unusual Superbowl party recipes, you might enjoy making this delicious Asian fish ball skewer recipe. The fish is blended with egg, cornstarch and seasoning and the dip is made with garlic, chili sauce, lime juice and more. These fish ball kabobs do not have to be cooked on skewers. You could cook them without the skewers if you prefer. Nevertheless, they do look good served that way.
You can use any kind of Spanish mackerel for this recipe or any kind of fish, since the egg binds it together nicely. Try cod, tilapia, or hake for a different flavor. The fish balls cook very quickly, within minutes in fact, and when the fish balls puff up and float to the top of the oil they are done.
Serve these delicious and easy party appetizers hot and they will help to make your Superbowl party a great success. The dipping sauce is amazing and the fish balls are very simple in flavor but they have a wonderful texture and taste.
- 1 ½ lbs whole Spanish mackerel, to yield about 1 lb flesh
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 cups canola oil
- Soak 10 wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Combine the garlic, chili, ketchup, lime juice, sugar, and ginger to make the dipping sauce, adding salt to taste.
- Prepare the fish.
- Beginning at the tail end and working towards the head end, slice top half of the flesh off the fish.
- Do the same on the other side, then scrape any remaining fish meat off the bones with a spoon.
- Put the fish fillet skin side down on a plate and use a pair of tweezers to remove any bones.
- Put the fish on a chopping board skin side down and scrape the flesh off the skin with a spoon.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt on the fish flesh, as well as the white pepper and cornstarch.
- Chop the fish with the blunt side of a meat cleaver and either pulse the fish in a food processor until it is paste-like or drag it over the chopping board with the cleaver a few times.
- Mix the remaining salt with the water.
- Stir the egg into the fish flesh, then dip your hands in the saltwater and form the fish flesh into a ball, slapping it against the side of the bowl.
- It might take 5 or 10 minutes to make a ball, which sticks together.
- Keep dipping your hands in the cold saltwater as you do this.
- Form 1 inch diameter fish balls.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a wok to 360 degrees F.
- Pat the fish balls dry, thread them on to the skewers, and drop them into the hot all, working in batches.
- When the fish balls rise to the top of the oil and are golden brown, they are done.
- It is normal for the fish balls to puff up when they fry and collapse when they cool.
- Serve the fish ball skewers with the dipping sauce.
You can see how delicious these homemade fish balls look. They are really easy to make and the homemade Asian dipping sauce recipe suits their flavor really well. You could serve this fish ball recipe with a sweet and sour sauce for a different taste if you wanted to. This is one of our more unusual Superbowl appetizer recipes and a lot of people have not tasted homemade fish balls before but these always go down well and they are not difficult to make.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)