Perfect Potato Latkes with Onion
This latkes potato recipe takes a bit of time to make but the results are worth it. It is important to grate the potatoes as coarsely as you can and to squeeze every last bit of water out of them before you form the latkes, so they hold their shape. Potato latkes are a traditional Jewish food and they are eaten at Hanukkah. Like many traditional foods, latkes are suitable for any occasion. They are similar in flavor to hash browns but a different shape. The coarsely grated potato gives a different result to the slightly fluffier consistency you would get with hash browns.
If you are looking for a hot appetizer recipe potato latkes are a great idea. These easy party appetizers are tasty and warming and the onion and potato combination is beautiful. Serve them with sour cream and applesauce for dipping. If you are making these for a buffet, you can lay them out with the dips alongside. If you are making food for a sit-down dinner, give each person a couple of hot latkes with the sauces on their plates or on the side.
You might like to make a variation of this potato latkes recipe, perhaps substituting some grated zucchini for a couple of the potatoes. Potato zucchini latkes are gorgeous too and colorful. Alternative you could use mushroom, carrot or add some finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes. This of course is veering away from the traditional potato latkes recipe but if you are catering for a buffet rather than a Hanukkah celebration you might want to consider it.
- 12 big peeled potatoes
- ¾ cup matzo meal
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Put the potatoes in cold water.
- Beat the onion with the eggs in a big bowl, and then gradually add the matzo meal.
- Pat the potatoes dry and grate them. Don't use a food processor or blender.
- You need to grate them thickly, so choose the biggest holes on a manual grater.
- Drain the grated potatoes, pressing them firmly to squeeze all the liquid out.
- Squeeze them in a tea towel for the best results.
- Combine the grated potatoes with the matzo mixture and stir well.
- Shape 5 inch patties with the latke mixture.
- They need to be about ½ inch thick in the middle and a bit thinner around the outside.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet until it is very hot, and then turn the heat down to moderate.
- Sauté the latkes until they are golden brown.
- Turn them a couple of times.
- Drain the excess oil from the latkes on kitchen paper, and then serve them hot with applesauce and sour cream.
These potato latkes are immediately appetizing. Their onion and potato aroma and appealing golden brown appearance will make everyone want to help themselves. Served with sour cream and applesauce, potato latkes are perhaps an unusual appetizer recipe for anyone who has not tried them before. This latkes potato recipe is very simple and the ingredients list is minimal. This is because the combination of potatoes, onion, matzo and eggs is sufficient to give them all the flavor they need. This is one of the tastiest holiday appetizer recipes and if you want hot appetizers this is a great recipe to opt for.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37779 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29237 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24690 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21798 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21329 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15693 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13794 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13361 Views)