Easy Baklava Recipe with Bacon
Baklava is a deliciously sweet and rich pastry, which is made of filo dough layers. It is sweetened with honey or syrup and contains chopped nuts. Baklava is enjoyed throughout southwest and central Asia, in Iran and in various former Ottoman Empire cuisines. Baklava recipes are normally for desserts or sweet snacks but the following baklava recipe makes a wonderful appetizer because it contains bacon, combining saltiness with the typical sweetness associated with baklava recipes.
The combination of salty bacon, sweet dates, maple syrup and orange zest and flavorful bourbon and almonds is what makes this one of our more unusual appetizer recipes, as well as one of the most flavorful. Baklava is served in slightly different ways. Sometimes you layer the filo sheets, also spelt phyllo sheets, with spoonfuls of the filling between them, and cut the baklava into wedges. Other times you can make little diamond shapes, pinching the sides of the baklava so you can see the filling.
This sweet appetizer recipe is guaranteed to tantalize your guests’ taste buds because it is unusual and really flavorful. Traditional baklava recipes are nice too but if you are serving a baklava recipe as an appetizer, try making this easy baklava with bacon.
- 1 ½ lbs sliced bacon
- 1 package filo dough
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds, toasted and chopped coarsely
- 10 tablespoons melted butter
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped dates
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- Finely grated zest of ½ orange
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fry the bacon until crisp, then drain it well and crumble.
- Add the bacon, dates, and almonds to a food processor and finely chop the mixture together.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Put a sheet of filo pastry on the pan and trim the edges so it fits.
- Brush it with butter and repeat with 4 more filo sheets and more butter.
- Spread a cup of the filling over the filo and repeat, layering 5 more filo sheets and the bacon filling.
- Repeat again until you have used all the filo pastry and all the bacon filling mixture.
- Finish with 5 layers of filo pastry and butter the top well.
- Cut the baklava into diamond shapes, using a sharp knife and fold the corners up to enclose the filling.
- Bake the baklava for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 325 degrees F. Bake it for another hour or until it is golden brown.
- Mix together the bourbon, water, sugar, orange zest and maple syrup in a pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes then cool it to room temperature.
- Pour this cool syrup over the hot baklava.
- Leave it to stand at room temperature overnight, uncovered.
Baklava is best served at room temperature, so the filling is warm and sticky without being too hard or too runny. Baklava is a really delicious recipe that a lot of people have tasted at one time or another, but this bacon baklava is extra special and the sweet saltiness of the bacon adds a wonderful flavor to this baklava recipe. Baklava is easy to make and the results are really good.
Leave a Reply
- All is Good Again March 8, 2014
- Our Wow’s with Rich Pins March 6, 2014
- Eggs Stuffed with Tuna Appetizer Recipe December 21, 2013
- Baked Cheese Olive Appetizer Recipe December 21, 2013
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two December 21, 2013
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Appetizer Recipe December 20, 2013
- Grape and Roquefort Cheese Canapes December 19, 2013
- Home (23402 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (19022 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (18200 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (15094 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (14009 Views)
- Home (13004 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (11768 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (11417 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (10888 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (9951 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (9161 Views)
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe (8974 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (8526 Views)
- Grape Jelly Meatball Sauce Recipe (8204 Views)
- Smoked Salmon and Caper Canapés (8106 Views)