How to Make Beignets
You might want to learn how to make beignets if you are looking for the best Mardi Gras recipes. The following recipe for beignets is flavored with ham, cheese, dill and a touch of cayenne pepper. These hot, tasty mouthfuls are soft and delicious and they are not hard to make. You can make baked beignets but fried ones are more authentic and have a richer flavor. Also the outside gets crispier if you fry them, which is how they would be prepared in New Orleans and other areas where beignets are incredibly popular.
“Beignet” is the French word for fried dough and you can get sweet beignets covered in powdered sugar and savory ones stuffed with delicious fillings like crawfish or shrimp. Beignets are the official state donut of Louisiana and beignets are associated with New Orleans, which is why they are a great Mardi Gras appetizer. Other beignet fillings which are popular outside the United States include potatoes, chestnuts, mushrooms or meat.
Learning how to make beignets is easy with the following beignets recipe and these are one of the most flavorful holiday appetizer recipes to serve, whether you are having a buffet, cocktail party or another kind of gathering. Serve the beignets warm or hot for the best results. You can serve dip recipes with them if you like but they are moist enough not to need one.
- 7 fl oz water
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ oz unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 18 fl oz vegetable oil
- 1 ½ oz chopped ham
- 2 ¾ oz grated cheddar cheese
- 3 ½ oz plain flour
- Salt and black pepper
- Bring the water to a boil, and then add the butter.
- When it melts, add the flour.
- Whisk with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and comes away from the pan sides.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes, and then add the dill, cheese, eggs, cayenne pepper and ham.
- Stir well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet until it is very hot, and then fry teaspoons of the beignet mixture in the hot oil.
- Each beignet will need about 5 minutes.
- They will turn golden brown and puff up when they are done.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the beignets from the oil.
- Drain them on paper towels, season with salt and black pepper and serve them hot.
Beignets are a tasty finger food. They are well suited for buffets and cocktail parties, as well as Mardi Gras events and pretty much any other time when you fancy something hot, flavorful and savory. These easy party appetizers are flavored with ham, cheese and dill and a sprinkling of salt and pepper over them finishes them off perfectly. Learning how to make beignets is very simple and this is an authentic southern recipe for beignets. If you want to make sweet beignets, you can use sweet fillings for them and dust them in powdered sugar but this ham and cheese version of beignets is also mouthwateringly good.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- No Results for Our Top Rated Articles
- Home (23067 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (16872 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (14686 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (12513 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (10646 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (9693 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (8743 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (8257 Views)
- Old Bay Oven Baked Chicken Wings (7784 Views)
- One of the Best Holiday Appetizer Recipes – Apple Filo Appetizers (7660 Views)