Warm Christmas Pancakes with Goat's Cheese and Jelly
These Christmas pancakes are really flavorful and the combination of goat’s cheese and strawberry jelly is really magical. If you prefer, you can use fresh quartered strawberries, or even raspberries, with some sugar mixed in but jelly is also good. If you want to make Christmas pancakes for kids you might like to leave out the goat’s cheese and fill them with a combination of chocolate and marshmallows, fruit and syrup or ice cream instead, but for adults the goat’s cheese adds a sophisticated flavor and a subtle sour tang which is perfectly balanced with the jelly.
Serve these warm Christmas pancakes with a glass of champagne and they make wonderful and easy party appetizers, a delicious snack or even an unusual Christmas breakfast recipe. Each country has their own idea of perfect pancakes and perhaps you have sampled French crepes or thick Dutch pancakes before. English pancakes are thin and often served with golden syrup or lemon juice and sugar. Irish, Scottish and Welsh pancakes are thicker. American pancakes are often served in a stack and topped with maple syrup.
In Italy and France, pancakes are thin and can be filled with savory or sweet fillings. Finnish pancakes are served with fruit and whipped cream. Scandinavian pancakes are made with potato flour or buckwheat flour and are doughy and heavy. Indian dosas are crispy, thin and served alongside curries or with pickles and chutneys. Blini are famous Eastern European pancakes which are perfect with smoked salmon or caviar. Raggmunk is a savory Scandinavian pancake made with potato flour and served with lingonberries and bacon.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 oz goat's cheese
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup strawberry jelly
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Stir the baking powder, sugar and salt into the flour.
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla extract, melted butter and milk in another bowl.
- Pour the flour mixture into the egg mixture and keep whisking it until it is very smooth.
- Warm a skillet over a medium heat and spray it with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter ⅔ cup at a time in to the skillet, rotating the pan so the batter gets thin and spreads out.
- They should be about 8 inches in diameter. When the top is nearly set, flip the pancake.
- Cook it on the other side for half a minute, and then transfer it to a cookie sheet, keeping the pancakes warm in the oven as you go.
- You will need to fry one at a time in the skillet.
- Add a little more cooking spray after every 2 or 3 pancakes.
- When all the pancakes are cooked, spread a teaspoon of jelly along the middle of each one, and then crumble the goat's cheese on top.
- Roll them up and arrange them on a serving platter, seam side down.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top.
Served with a festive glass of champagne, the combination of goat’s cheese and strawberry jelly in these amazing pancakes is heavenly. These pancakes are easy to make and they are great easy party appetizers. They can also be served as a Christmas supper recipe or Christmas breakfast recipe. These Christmas pancakes are very thin and nearly like French crepes. They do need to be thin so you can roll them up, so don’t put too much batter in the pan at one time.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37804 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29298 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24734 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21821 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21391 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16262 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15727 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15184 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13852 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13407 Views)