Healthy Ratatouille Stuffed Peppers
This is quite a hearty appetizer, so if you are looking for something warm and filling, this might be something to consider. You can also team it with a side dish and offer it as an entrée. We are stuffing peppers with ratatouille then baking them in the oven to make something which is nutritious as well as very tasty. There are plenty of vegetables here, along with rice although you can leave out the rice if you do not want it too filling.
This recipe is suitable for any occasion and it is also fine for vegetarians. Swap the parmesan for vegan cheese, and this can be suitable for vegan eaters as well. Ratatouille is made by stewing vegetables until the flavors combine and everything is very tender. We are using onion, garlic, tomatoes and red bell pepper to make it, although you may vary the ingredients, perhaps adding in some zucchini or eggplant. Add a splash of white wine or lemon juice to the ratatouille to bring out all those wonderful vegetable flavors, along with some salt and black pepper to taste.
Then you can stuff the bell pepper halves with some cooked rice and the ratatouille you just made. Feel free to use another kind of grain instead of the rice (or even leftover rice from another day). Quinoa, macaroni or couscous would work too. Although you might want to cook the bell pepper halves first, before filling them, they tend to become quite tender in the oven anyway, and most people like them a little al dente rather than too soft, but that is up to you. We are using yellow bell peppers here which are sweeter than both green, red and orange ones, but use whatever kind you like to make this dish. Most people have made stuffed peppers before but often with cheese or a rice or beef mixture, so give this recipe a try and discover how tasty ratatouille stuffed peppers can be.
- 1 finely diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ cup white wine or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- Large handful chopped fresh basil leaves
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 5 yellow peppers
- 1½ cups cooked white rice
- Parsley or basil leaves, for garnish
- Freshly grated parmesan, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sauté the onion in the olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine or lemon juice and cook, scraping up any browned bits form the bottom of the pan.
- Add some salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water and the red bell pepper and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Add more salt and black pepper to taste if necessary.
- Add the basil leaves and cook for 1 minute.
- Cut the yellow bell peppers in half lengthwise and discard the seeds.
- Divide the rice between the bell pepper halves, then top with the ratatouille.
- Any extra ratatouille can just go into the baking dish around the bell pepper halves.
- Now arrange the peppers in a large baking dish.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take off the cover and cook for another 15 minutes or until done.
- Serve garnished with parsley or basil if liked.
- You can also offer freshly grated parmesan on the side.
The next time you are looking for an appetizer recipe which is completely homemade, offering hearty, delicious flavors for every palate (including vegetarians and vegans) give this recipe a try. We are stuffing yellow bell peppers with rice topped with a flavor-packed vegetable ratatouille, before baking them in the oven until the peppers are tender and the ratatouille filling is cooked perfectly. Served hot from the oven, with either a dot of butter on top or perhaps some freshly grated parmesan, these are sure to be a delight and start your meal off on a good note.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)