Fancy Gourmet Appetizers with Beet and Feta Cheese
This recipe is made with beets and feta. You can use cow feta if you like but goat feta has a superior flavor and is better for this appetizer recipe. Anyone who likes beets will love this wonderful and easy recipe.
If you are looking for a recipe you can make in five minutes, you can substitute pickled, sliced beets for the fresh ones. Then you will not need to cook them. Using raw beets and cooking them yourself does give better results though.
Serve this delicious feta beet appetizer on a bed of salad leaves if you like, or garnish it simply with some watercress, mustard cress, or alfalfa. You will need to serve this immediately, or else the juices from the beets will soak into the cheese and make it pink, which does not look as good as the contrasting purple and white stripes.
- 6 raw beets
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 oz goat feta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Handful of watercress, for garnish
- Black pepper
- Wipe any dirt off the beets and trim the stalks to ½ inch away from the flesh. Do not trim the root.
- Boil the beets in water until they are tender.
- Rub the skin off using your fingers or peel them using a sharp knife.
- Cut off the root and stalks.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and cut the beetroot into slices.
- Toss the beetroot with the olive oil and roast it for 20 minutes or until it looks caramelized and roasted.
- Toss it with the balsamic vinegar and black pepper.
- Slice the feta cheese and alternate slices of cheese with slices of beets on serving plates to make beet and cheese stacks.
- Decorate with watercress and serve immediately.
This is an elegant appetizer and it is also quite unusual. The smoothness of the beetroot contrasts nicely with the crumbly feta cheese and the watercress makes a perfect garnish. If you have never cooked beets before, there is nothing difficult about it. You just need to boil them until tender and then roast them until they caramelize. Wait for them to cool and then stack them with the goat feta, or stack them while they are still hot for a different take on this gourmet appetizer recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15689 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15158 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)