Shrimp and Cherry Vol au Vents
These are great for any occasion, from a New Year’s Eve party to a birthday buffet or even a cocktail party. Finger food like these vol au vents always go down well at gatherings and they are simple to make. In the following vol au vents recipe creamy shrimps are combined with cherries, lettuce and parsley for a colorful filling which is full of flavor.
These warm vol au vents contain a Creole spiced creamy shrimp mixture which is tangy because of the lime juice it contains. This mouthwatering mixture is really flavorful and the cream gives these shrimp stuffed vol au vents a luxurious texture as well as a wonderful flavor. If you have time, you can use puff pastry to make your own vol au vent cases but they are just as easy to buy. You can fill vol au vents with anything you like – maybe a chilled tuna in lemon mayonnaise filling, an egg mayonnaise and watercress filling or a hot chili con carne filling. Use your imagination and see which tasty mixtures you can come up with.
Serve holiday appetizer recipes like these tasty seafood vol au vents at any event or occasion and your guests will enjoy the wonderful contrast between the crumbly puff pastry and the creamy shrimp filling. The parsley and lettuce add a splash of color, and the cherry adds a sweet fruitiness that is good with the underlying lime flavor. If you are serving vol au vents at a sit-down dinner you can over-fill them so the filling oozes over the edges. If they are for a buffet, you will want them to be easy to eat with the fingers so keep them tidy.
- 12 vol au vent cases
- 12 fresh cherries, stones removed
- ¾ lb frozen rock shrimp
- ¼ head lettuce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 12 sprigs fresh parsley, to garnish
- Salt and black pepper
- Season the shrimp with the Creole seasoning.
- Sauté them with the oil in a skillet over a moderately high heat for a few minutes until nearly all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the lime juice, hot sauce, then the cream.
- Turn the heat down and cook the shrimp in the sauce until the sauce has reduced by half and is thick enough to coat a spoon.
- This will take about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange a piece of lettuce leaf in each vol au vent case, then spoon in the shrimp filling.
- Top each one with a cherry and a sprig of fresh parsley and serve warm.
These splendid looking shrimp vol au vents are great for buffets. Finger food like this is always welcomed when people have to eat standing up because it is easy to eat. These vol au vents look really appealing and the combination of shrimp and cherries is unusual but goes very well. The creamy, lime-flavored shrimp sauce is too thick to soak into the vol au vent cases but keeps the shrimp juicy and adds so much flavor. The lettuce and parsley are mainly for garnish. If you are looking for easy party appetizers and the best holiday appetizer recipes, these shrimp vol au vents are a great idea.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15690 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15158 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)