Roasted Red Potatoes with Salmon Roe and Sour Cream
These are simple to prepare and they are pretty too, boasting red, orange and green colors. We are using baby red potatoes, scooping out some of the flesh for the sour cream filling (you can save the flesh for another use, such as adding it to soup for example) and then topping with chives and salmon roe. Salmon roe is a tasty seafood treat from the Pacific coast. These orange salmon eggs are salty, delicate and really good.
We like to use baby red potatoes just because they are more colorful than their brown or white-skinned counterparts. A melon baller is the simplest way to hollow them out but if you do not have such a utensil, use the smallest spoon you have. Do not remove too much. You still want the potatoes to hold their shape. Just remove a bit so you can get some sour cream in there. Then the salmon roe goes on top (or you could use the more expensive black caviar if you prefer – you only need a tiny bit on each appetizer) and finally the snipped chives to finish off the presentation.
If you want to tweak these, consider swapping the salmon roe for crumbled bacon and the chives for grated cheese. That would make a great appetizer for Superbowl or for a crowd who are more into baked potatoes than gourmet seafood treats. It just depends on the occasion and who is coming over. These little bites may be served chilled, at room temperature or warm. Do not serve them too hot though, because then the sour cream will melt and ooze out. That might be fine if you are serving them on plates but if you are choosing to offer these as finger food you will want them cooler so they are less messy to eat. If you are looking for some easy potato appetizers, give this recipe a try.
- 20 baby red potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 oz sour cream
- ½ cup salmon roe
- 20 snipped fresh chives
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the bottoms off the potatoes so they can sit, and cut the tops off too, using a melon baller to remove some of the flesh.
- Toss with oil, salt and black pepper and arrange the potatoes on a baking sheet with the hollow sides facing down.
- Roast for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Let them cool to room temperature (or slightly warmer).
- Fill each one with sour cream, either using a piping bag or pair of teaspoons.
- Add salmon roe on top of each one, then sprinkle the chives on top and serve.
These baby red potatoes are roasted in the oven with oil and a little salt and black pepper. They are then hollowed out a bit and filled with sour cream (perhaps piped in for an exquisite presentation) and topped with salmon roe and snipped chives. These are colorful and appealing. Serve them on a platter as finger food or if you are having a sit-down meal, offer a couple of these on each plate. You can make tweaks to this recipe, swapping the salmon roe for crumbled bacon or switching the chives for parsley. Either way this is sure to be a very popular appetizer.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37779 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29237 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21798 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21329 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16229 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15693 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13794 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13361 Views)