Mexican Spiced Chili Cheese Fries
If you are a fan of chili fries, you will love these Mexican spiced wedges with chili and cheese. The chili and lime give the potato wedge fries a really great Mexican flavor and using a coating like this means you can oven fry the wedges instead of frying them, which is of course healthier but still gives the same effect. If you do not want to serve these chili fries with the chili, you can serve them with sour cream or salsa for dipping instead.
The chili is simple but really tasty and you can cook it while you bake the potato wedges. If you want to make the chili milder, use mild chili powder instead of the crushed chili. Add some mushrooms, garlic, bell pepper or herbs to intensify the overall flavor of just leave it as it is, so you can get the maximum taste of the Mexican ingredients on the potato wedges.
Holiday appetizer recipes like these are fun to make and enjoyable to eat. The combination of warm chili, Mexican style potato wedges and melted cheese is a wonderful one and your guests will love this chili cheese fries recipe. Serve it on individual plates for a dinner party appetizer or on a buffet table with a big spoon so people can help themselves to a couple of the wedges and a scoop of chili.
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 crushed chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon double concentrate tomato puree
- 1 small can red kidney beans
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 oz grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Put the lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder in a Ziploc bag and mix well.
- Scrub the potatoes and dry them.
- Cut them into lengthwise, half inch thick wedges.
- Add the wedges to the mixture in the Ziploc bag and toss well until the potatoes are covered evenly.
- Arrange the wedges on a well greased baking sheet and sprinkle salt over them. Bake for 25 minutes.
- While the potato wedges are baking, make the chili con carne topping. Rinse the kidney beans.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Fry the ground beef in a pan until it is browned, then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and flour.
- Dissolve the bouillon cube in the boiling water and add this to the chili mixture gradually, stirring well.
- Add the crushed chili and kidney beans.
- Turn the heat down to very low and simmer the chili for 15 minutes.
- Arrange the potato wedges on a serving platter and ladle the chili over the top.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve immediately.
Chili fries are popular appetizers, this variation of the dish involves making lime, and chili spiced potato wedges and a delicious homemade chili con carne topping. The appetizer is finished off with some grated cheese on top. This is a winter warmer of a dish and suitable for any occasion. You can make both the wedges and the chili as spicy as you like or as mild as you want. A lot of people like their wedges with chili mild but some prefer heat, in which case you can serve some chili sauce on the side so people can spice up their own chili cheese fries if they choose to.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21324 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13788 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)