Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe
This delicious sausage and peppers recipe is Greek in origin but using Italian spicy sausage gives it a great Italian flavor too and you can use an Italian red wine to finish it off perfectly. This Italian sausage and peppers recipe is also tasty if you use white wine instead of red wine to make it. The onions, garlic and tomatoes are beautiful together and the spicy sausage adds just the right amount of piquancy to the dish. This recipe is known as “spetzofai” in Greece and this is an authentic spetzofai recipe.
Italian sausage with peppers makes a great appetizer or main meal. If you want to make it go further, serve it with rice or mashed potatoes. Serve some feta cheese and olives on the plate too, to keep the Greek theme. For an appetizer, serve it in mugs or bowls. This hot appetizer recipe is best served piping hot. Perhaps you are looking for ideas for Superbowl party recipes, in which case this is ideal. Chili con carne can be served hot in mugs at Superbowl parties, so why not this delicious sausage and peppers recipe? It is just as warming and flavorful.
You can use whichever kind of peppers you like. Perhaps you would prefer to use a spicy type of pepper in this Italian sausage and peppers recipe, in which case choose a milder sausage to pair with it. Yellow bell pepper is nice in this Italian sausage and peppers recipe because it gives the dish a sweetness which is good with the spiciness. Make extra of this recipe if you want because it is just as nice on the second day and you can reheat it the day after your Superbowl party for a nice, warming lunch.
- 2 lbs Italian spicy sausage, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red or white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, chopped
- 1 sliced clove garlic
- 2 onions
- 1 finely chopped tomato with juice
- Sauté the onion over a medium heat in the olive oil until it is translucent.
- This should take about 6 minutes.
- Stir it all the time using a wooden spatula.
- Add the peppers, tomato, garlic and sausage, stirring well.
- Stir in the wine.
- Cover the pan and cook the sausage and peppers recipe for about 25 minutes, stirring it a few times.
- Serve warm.
This colorful sausage and peppers recipe tastes as good as it looks. If it is Superbowl party food you are looking for, this is a really flavorful treat. The recipe for this Italian sausage and peppers appetizer is very easy and it is a great hot appetizer for beginner chefs because there is not much that can go wrong with this dish. The best Superbowl party recipes are those which are comfort food, which is why mini burgers, chips and dips, chicken wings and ribs are so popular on the day. This hot sausage and peppers dish is certainly comfort food as well and if you have some left over it is great reheated the following day.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15689 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15158 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)