Creamy Pesto and Tomato Appetizer
This is a very easy recipe and it tastes good because all the ingredients are fresh. There are three layers in this tomato appetizer. First of all, there are fresh tomatoes with basil, then a layer of lemon flavored sour cream and finally some mouthwatering homemade pesto with an arugula garnish. This delicious appetizer is great if you want easy party appetizers for a dinner party or if you are feeding vegetarians.
The homemade pesto is really good. Feel free to add more garlic if you want, because one clove is really minimal. If you happen to have a lot of fresh basil, you can double up on the pesto recipe and freeze it for future recipes. Pesto is great with pasta or you can spread it thinly on toast for an Italian appetizer. Perhaps you have made or tasted a balsamic vinaigrette pesto tomato feta cheese appetizer recipe before or maybe you are new to making appetizers. In either case, you will definitely enjoy the wonderful flavors of this dish.
These easy party appetizers are served chilled and they are great for a spring or summer party, especially if you are dining al fresco. They are colorful and really fragrant because of the fresh basil and other wonderful ingredients. You can also serve these at a buffet if you serve little teaspoons alongside the glasses so people can scoop the delicious mixture out.
- 6 tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Arugula, for garnish
- Finely chop the tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of the basil leaves.
- Stir them together and divide this tomato mixture between 8 serving glasses.
- Combine the sour cream with 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice and the black pepper.
- Divide this mixture between the serving glasses, spooning it on top of the tomatoes.
- Put the remaining basil leaves in a food processor and chop them coarsely.
- Add the rest of the lemon juice, the walnuts, parmesan, and garlic and blend until the mixture is like a thick paste.
- Taste the pesto and add water if it is too thick or salt if it needs some.
- Divide the pesto between the serving glasses, on top of the sour cream mixture, and then garnish each one with some arugula and serve.
This tomato appetizer recipe is easy to make and it can be interesting to watch people eat these. Some people will eat them layer by layer, some will try to get some of each layer on each spoonful, and others will mix the tomato, cream and pesto layers together! This tomato appetizer makes such a nice beginning to a dinner and the fresh flavors really stand out and make this something special. Homemade pesto is really special anyway but team it with citrus-flavored sour cream and fresh chopped tomatoes and you have a colorful and delicious tomato appetizer, which is perfect for any occasion.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15690 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15158 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)