Salsa Verde – A Traditional Italian Salsa Dip Recipe
Dip recipes vary and you can make hot, chilled, or warm dips. Salsa verde is a traditional Italian dip recipe containing parsley, capers, garlic, olive oil and more. Parsley is a great source of vitamins A and C, as well as heart-friendly folic acid. Good parsley is crisp, fresh, and dark green. You can grow it easily and then you can chop it up and keep it in freezer bags in the freezer.
This is a healthy chilled appetizer recipe. The ingredients for salsa verde were chopped by hand in the old days but of course it is simpler to use a food processor or blender now and it certainly saves time. For a chunkier salsa, just pulse the mixture a few times in the machine.
The basic recipe for salsa verde is thought to be two thousand years old and it was brought to Italy by Roman legionnaires, and then the recipe made its way to Germany and France. Mediterranean herbs were not available in Germany at that time so the German version of salsa verde often contains baby spinach, chives, and celery leaves. You can serve dip recipes like salsa verde with meat, poultry, fish, or vegetables because the flavor goes with a lot of different things.
- 1 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 4 anchovies
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree the mixture until it is smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, then serve chilled.
Dip recipes are often colorful because it makes them look appealing and it makes people want to dip foods in them. This salsa verde can be a dip recipe or it can be a sauce, which people will eat with other foods. Salsa verde is a cold appetizer recipe, which you can serve with anything. Even bread or crackers are delicious if you serve them with this kind of dipping sauce. As with most dip recipes, it is a good idea to provide spoons and napkins to avoid mess.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37778 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29235 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21797 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21327 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16225 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13791 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13358 Views)