Crockpot Eggplant Dip with Lemon and Garlic
This delicious baba ghanoush recipe features eggplant, garlic, lemon, tahini, and parsley. If you enjoy the flavor of eggplant you will like this recipe. Although you can cook eggplant on the stove or in the oven, using a crockpot means you will be using less power to cook it. Also, if you are making this dip for a party, you will probably already be using the stove and oven for other dishes, so being able to make this in the crockpot frees up your stove and oven for other uses.
This eggplant dip, which is known as baba ghanoush in Arabic, can also be made with eggplant which is grilled or baked over an open flame, since this gives the eggplant a smokier flavor, but not everyone has time for this, and it is true that using the crockpot means you can dump the eggplant in there and let it cook while you forget about it.
This dish is usually served as a salad or side dish in Egypt, or an appetizer in Lebanon. Some people like to add chili powder and cumin for a spicier result, or you could use mint instead of parsley. There is a version made with mayonnaise in Israel and a tomato and onion version in Pakistan and India. This recipe is popular in areas with a lot of Middle Eastern people, such as Southeast Brazil, and as a result eggplant is popular all over Brazil, although it was first introduced by either West African slaves or the Spanish, depending on which tale you believe.
- 1 big eggplant
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley leaves or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Black olives, lemon wedges and red bell pepper strips, for garnish (optional)
- Wash and dry the eggplant.
- Pierce it several times with a fork.
- Put it in the crockpot and cook for 3 hours on high.
- Remove the eggplant using tongs and cut it in half with a knife.
- Do not use your fingers - it is very hot! Scrape out any clusters of seeds and discard. Scoop out the flesh and put it in a blender.
- Add the lemon, tahini and garlic, as well as a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Blend and taste.
- Add extra salt, pepper, or lemon if needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with black olives, lemon wedges and red bell pepper strips, if you like.
- Serve the eggplant dip recipe at room temperature with chips, crackers, tortillas, or fresh vegetable crudités.
This photo shows the consistency of this baba ghanoush recipe. Although this eggplant dip contains a lot of liquid, it is easy to scoop on to crackers or chips. You can see how using a colorful garnish livens the dish up, and you could try something else for the garnish if you prefer, like fresh parsley or cilantro sprigs. Some people like to serve this eggplant dip alongside grilled fish or chicken, as a side dish, and that also works. You can easily double the quantity if you want enough for a crowd, although it depends how big your crockpot is. You might need an oval crockpot for this.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37776 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24676 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15690 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15158 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)