Authentic Mexican Spicy White Cheese Dip
The following recipe is so easy to make and all you need is cheese, chilies and cream. Slow cooking adds a lot of flavor to your food and that is true whether you are making crockpot appetizers, crockpot desserts or a whole meal in your slow cooker. This is why a lot of slow cooker recipes call for fewer ingredients than you might expect. This recipe, for example, only needs cream, cheese, and chilies but the end result is a full-flavored dip which is perfectly balanced and delicious. You can use canned green chilies or fresh ones but make sure they are finely chopped so they disappear into the dip. Of course you can alter the amount of chilies if you want to. Using the amount of chilies called for in the dip makes it quite spicy so halve the amount if you prefer. Not everyone likes really spicy dips.
The best cheese to use for this is Asadero, which you can find at a Latin grocery store. Asadero is a semi-firm Mexican cheese. It is off-white in color and it is sold in log shapes. The reason why Asadero is great for making Mexican cheese dip recipes is that it melts really nicely without going stringy or changing its flavor. It goes creamy without giving off oil, even if you are cooking at a high temperature with it.
The fresh and slightly tangy flavor is reminiscent of mozzarella and it comes from the Chihuahua region of Mexico. Sometimes animal rennet is used to curdle the milk to make Asadero and sometimes a plant is used instead. Asadero is used in quesadilla recipes. If you really cannot find it and you still want to make a white cheese dip, you can use mozzarella, Fontina, provolone, Monterey Jack, queso manchego or queso Chihuahua instead. Asadero is the Spanish word for baking, which is a great clue about how well it does when it is heated.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 cups shredded Asadero cheese
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno chili pepper
- 8 oz chopped green chilies
- Salt, to taste
- Add the cream, cheese, and chilies to the crockpot.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours on low, stirring a few times during the cooking time.
- When the cheese is melted, use a little cream or milk to thin the dip to the right consistency if necessary.
- Taste the dip and add some salt if you need to. Serve hot.
White cheese dips are always attractive because they smell so good. This dip is quite piquant and it is delicious served with corn chips or tortilla chips. Why not spice up your next event by making this Mexican white cheese dip? If you serve it in the slow cooker with the lid off, it will stay warm and melted. This is such an easy recipe and, as you can see from the photo, it looks simple yet very attractive. South of the border dips are often tomato, avocado or cheese-based and this is one of the best cheese dip recipes ever.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37145 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (28094 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24075 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21395 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (20435 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (15646 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15227 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (14740 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (12914 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (12272 Views)