Arab Style Red Chili Dip with Onions
This red chili dip is easy to make because you just combine all the ingredients. Sumac might be an ingredient that you have not used before. It gives sourness to recipes, rather like lemon juice. Sumac comes from the berries of a Mediterranean wild bush. These berries are dried and then crushed to make a reddish purple powder, which is fruity but sour. If you cannot find sumac you can use lemon juice instead or even a touch of lime juice in the recipe. It will be slightly different to the traditional recipe but still sour and sharp, as it is supposed to be.
Arab food is varied and delicious and you can could the regional dishes from Afghanistan, Turkey, India, Morocco, Yemen, Somalia and more places in the Middle Eastern world as Arab style recipes. A long time ago, the Arab diet was based on barley, wheat, rice, meat, and dates. Yogurt was also very popular. Modern Arabian cuisine features meat, fish, chicken, herbs and spices, dairy products, vegetables, nuts and dressings. Dressing and sauces often contain parsley, olive oil, garlic, tanihi (sesame paste), lemon juice, or thinned yogurt. Dips are popular and enjoyed with kabobs, meat dishes and more. A red chili dip or chili pepper dip is something that would feature in an Arab meal.
Because Arab cuisine encompasses so many regions, there are a lot of differences in what people eat in different areas. Some dishes are native to some Arabian countries but unheard of in others. Cinnamon is often used in Arab meat dishes, unlike in many western cuisines, as well in desserts. Fried dough and rice pudding are popular Arabian desserts and ground nuts are often used in pastries and cakes. Fruit juices are popular in many Arab countries and saffron is used in beverages, rice dishes, candies and more.
- 3 tomatoes, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon crushed cayenne pepper
- 2 small red chilies, de-seeded and very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grenadine syrup or pomegranate paste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Salt, to taste
- Mix the onion with the salt and sumac, then stir in all the other ingredients and let the dip chill for an hour in the refrigerator.
- Serve it with any kind of kebab, with crackers or with chips for dipping.
This chili pepper dip is bright red, which makes it look instantly appealing and tempting. The sumac is an ingredient you might not have used before it is used a lot in Arabic cuisine, mainly to give a sour flavor. This red chili dip is great with tortilla chips, potato chips or as an accompaniment to a salad. This is one of our easy party appetizers and if you are serving kabobs, this chili pepper dip is really good with them, especially if they are lamb kabobs. There are lots of dip recipes to choose from if you are having a party and you might like to make a selection of different ones – perhaps a smooth, creamy dip, a hot vegetable dip and this spicy chili pepper dip.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37777 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (29232 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24686 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21796 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (21323 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (16209 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15691 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (15159 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13785 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (13355 Views)