Spicy Kimchi Pickled Vegetables
Recipes for pickled vegetables are abundant. True aficionados appreciate a spicy pickle. Many cultures have spicy pickled vegetable recipes, but probably the most well-known is Korean kimchi. Kimchi can be made with just cabbage, just cucumbers, or any number of vegetables. Like most pickling recipes, kimchi was invented to help preserve food at a time when refrigeration was not available. Korea’s spicy vegetable pickles are known for their heat. Today you can find it on pizzas and burgers. In Korea, even people who do not know much about cooking can make a hot kimchi stew with rice. Families all had their own distinctive kimchi recipes that were passed down from generation to generation.
Amazingly, these pickles are fairly easy to make. As more people all over the world discover kimchi, the recipes are spreading far and wide. Traditionally, it is served as a side dish. Scoop out a bowl full with your meal to punch up your nutrition and your heat. Today, you can find kimchi in grocery stores, farmers ‘ markets, and specialty shops. Even with its growing popularity, there is no reason not to try making your own. Use the recipe to use up some of your excess garden produce so you can enjoy it in the months to come.
Just like many other refrigerator pickle recipes, kimchi is made of preserved raw vegetables. None of the nutrients are lost in the preparation. The hot, bright flavor wins new fans all the time who may not even care about the extra nutrients they are eating. The flavors combine all the natural flavors of hot, sour, sweet, and salty. The spicy aroma tickles the senses and invites everyone to take a bite.
- 10 pickling cucumbers, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 small head green cabbage, quartered and chopped into small chunks
- 2 Tablespoons sea salt
- ½ to 1 full teaspoon raw garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, cut diagonally (both white and green portions)
- ¼ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons red chili flakes, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Rinse the cucumbers and chop them into bite size pieces. Place them in a large bowl. Chop the cabbage and add it to the cucumbers. Add the salt and toss well. Let the vegetables sit out overnight at room temperature or at least for a few hours. The salt draws the moisture out of the vegetables, creating a brine.
- Add the garlic, scallions, onion, chili flakes, vinegar, and honey. You may want to put on some gloves to protect your hands from the chili flakes while you mix this up. Toss all the ingredients until it is well combined and the vegetables are all covered with the brine. The brine should be a brilliant red color.
- Pack the vegetables into canning jars and add a couple tablespoons of brine in each jar. Put the lids tightly on the jars. Leave the kimchi out on the counter for 24 to 48 hours so it begins to ferment. After this time, keep all jars in the refrigerator.
- Serve kimchi any time you need to spice up a meal.
Pickled vegetables are a part of many cuisines, but our Spicy Kimchi Vegetables will quickly become your favorite. You can snack on these spicy vegetable pickles or serve them with a meal. Set out a bowl as an appetizer. The best thing about these pickles is they are also very good for you. Keep a jar handy at all times so you can enjoy them whenever the mood hits you. Once you have tasted kimchi, you will see why it is has been popular in Korea for so long.
Leave a Reply
- Smoked Salmon Mini Pancake Rolls with Feta Cream Cheese May 9, 2016
- Asian Appetizers – Fried Wontons, Prawn Toast and Spring Rolls April 26, 2016
- Buttery Garlic Breadsticks Stuffed with Cheese April 15, 2016
- Garlic and Rosemary Italian Focaccia Bread Appetizer April 2, 2016
- Deep Fried Mac and Cheese Bites with Dipping Sauce March 28, 2016
- Honey and Rosemary Baked Brie March 20, 2016
- Mixed Fresh Fruit Kebab Appetizers March 12, 2016
- Herbed Cheese and Egg Stuffed Tomatoes Appetizer March 5, 2016
- Stuffed Red Onion Appetizer February 27, 2016
- Loaded Cheeseburger Slider with Onion Rings February 22, 2016
- Home (37329 Views)
- Mini Quiches with Cheese and Spinach (28344 Views)
- Easy Roll Up Tortilla Sandwiches Recipe (24222 Views)
- Chicken Wings Appetizer Recipe (21492 Views)
- Goat Cheese in Puff Pastry Appetizers (20615 Views)
- The Best Crab Rangoon Recipe (15767 Views)
- Easy Ham and Cheese Appetizer Sandwiches (15336 Views)
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Appetizers (14853 Views)
- Romantic Holiday Appetizers for Two (13133 Views)
- The Creamiest Yogurt Fruit Dip Recipes (12504 Views)